Talk

Advanced search

Icey tek

(5 Posts)
chattypatty Sat 06-May-17 08:44:29

I've read threads about these beauties and am so tempted. Are they really as good as they say or do you have alternatives? Or any discount codes.

SoulAccount Sat 06-May-17 09:13:26

They are good, very good. Much better than regular passive ((non electric) cool boxes.

But you do have to use them correctly. Pre-chill, open as little as possible, don't leave the lid open for long, etc.

And I like mine as much for it's looks as it's performance, so why I was prepared to pay the high price.

AwkwardAnnie Mon 08-May-17 23:20:20

As Soul says, they're great when used properly and pre-chilled.
I use 1 litre milk bottles as our cool blocks are they fit perfectly stood upright. A couple of those will keep everything cold all weekend. I've brought food home still frozen and been able to give half a bottle of milk to other campers when we left after 3 days. It was still cold to the touch.

We tend to go to a campsite which has a freezer so I have one cool block in their freezer one in the icey tek, which works excellently. (They have a fridge on site too but our icey tek is just as good.)

They also make a handy table or chair when needed. smile

RhubarbCrumbled Tue 09-May-17 12:34:31

They are awesome. I took ours to the south of France last year and it was still happily chilling wine after two weeks. We chilled it down for 48 hours before packing it, used the proper blocks on the way down and then frozen bottles of water for two weeks.

I've also used it for long weekends and so long as it's chilled down properly then it will stay cold with just the icey tek paks for the whole time. I've put frozen stuff in there at the start of the holiday planning to eat it on night 3 and it's still been frozen.

To chill it down I rotate frozen bottles water into it for 24 hours (48 if I'm really planning!) and make sure the stuff is fridge cold before it goes in.

Yup they are awesome and as rhubarb says dinner plans can go awry when the stuff you were planning to eat is still frozen!

The only downside is they are fecking massive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now