Talk

Advanced search

Camping in this grotty chilliness?

(13 Posts)
Millybingbong Mon 17-Apr-17 21:09:57

We have planned 4 nights starting on Wednesday- about 3h away on three south coast. The dc are 5, 3 and 1. I'm not sure it is warm enough for us.

We are more hanging around the campsite types not day trippers. Are we just going to be toooooooo cold?

MysweetAudrina Mon 17-Apr-17 21:14:29

Just back from a couple of nights camping over the Easter. Just being plenty of bed covers and jackets. Mine had wet suits and got into the sea. I didn't being enough spare socks though. We brought the dog too so were restricted with where we could go during the day. We did end up buying a little fan heater the 2nd night as it got a bit chilly.

PhyllisNefler Mon 17-Apr-17 21:14:34

Any time we camp I find it really cold at night, once it gets dark and the tent cools down. Can you bring extra bedding? I'd bring sleeping bags and an extra duvet/blanket to layer up at night. I always wear leggings and a long-sleeve top all day (under my clothes) and then sleep in them with my pjs over them, so the heat stays in.

MaccaPaccaismyNemesis Mon 17-Apr-17 21:15:09

Prepare to be cold, but layer up accordingly! Duvet, blanket, bed socks, warm hat, gloves, vests, pj's. DS claimed he was too hot last month! Do you have an electric hook up? We're taking a fan heater next month as it'll be chilly in the evenings most likely.

glorious Mon 17-Apr-17 21:17:29

4 year old DD and I called in the garden the other night and we were fine. Granted that's less risky than going away!

We have a tiny tent which therefore keeps relatively warm. We slept on roll mats in cheap three season bags with a duvet on top. I wore merino base later, socks and pyjamas and DD wore pyjamas and fleece onesie.

BarchesterFlowers Mon 17-Apr-17 21:17:55

I think it is too cold for hanging around a campsite Milly.

I would go if there was enough to do nearby that was inside or if you were planning on doing something really active, but not otherwise.

It was 11 degrees here today at the hottest but the wind made it feel like half that.

Millybingbong Mon 17-Apr-17 21:18:22

Thanks
I'm less worried about the nights than the days. We can snug up at night but hanging out in the cold waiting for naps etc not having much to do in the day is my worry.

glorious Mon 17-Apr-17 21:18:23

*camped
* layer

Wolfiefan Mon 17-Apr-17 21:19:41

Layers. I would actually dig out the thermals. Don't be afraid to wear multiple layers of socks, hats and even scarves!
Can you have a fire on the site?

Millybingbong Tue 18-Apr-17 22:07:28

OK we are packed. We have packed all the things!!! Including hot water bottles and an oil fired radiator.....

heron98 Wed 19-Apr-17 14:43:27

We just got back from camping. It was very cold when just hanging around. We have a jet boil which boils water in minutes and which I use to fill a hot water bottle. It makes a huge difference.

fairybells Thu 20-Apr-17 08:07:54

We were supposed to go Easter weekend but I chickened out due to cold weather! Looking at the weather forecast it looks like is just getting colder! We might have a long wait before we get to go camping... sad

Millybingbong Fri 21-Apr-17 19:42:56

It has been totally fine! We have put on the heater once but otherwise perfectly warm enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now