Talk

Advanced search

Where would you camp (tent) for one week in august in the UK, driving from Scotland ?

(12 Posts)
Missanneshirley Sat 11-Mar-17 21:01:21

We have only ever camped for 3-4 nights max just because dh and I never have corresponding annual leave ! But now we have a week in august that we could go. We have a decent tent set up, ehu etc and would like to go beyond our normal west coast of Scotland campsites, mainly because we have more time but also to avoid the dreaded midges!
Any suggestions? We normally go to quite remote places but I'm thinking for a week it would be nice to have a village to walk to.we have a dog too.
What I'm finding is that there seems to be very little middle ground between 20 pitches in a field and Butlins style holiday parks? And ideally I think it's that middle ground I'd like!

BarchesterFlowers Sat 11-Mar-17 21:09:23

I would go to the North Yorkshire coast or near York (or you could do both).

We stayed here for a weekend last year, in a nice village, near lots of places and they take dogs.

Days out from there could be Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay, the North Yorks Railway, Helmsley, York, the moors/Goathland etc. Lots of walking and nice pub food. You can walk to Runswick Bay from the site which is lovely with a little tea shop at the top of the hill on your way home.

serenitycamping.co.uk/campsite/

daisygirlmac Sat 11-Mar-17 21:14:52

Keswick. There's a campsite which overlooks the lake and it's absolutely beautiful, you can walk into Keswick for a meal or drinks and there's hundreds of hikes for all abilities on the doorstep. The whole town is dog friendly, can't think of any shops, cafes or pubs which don't allow them. If you wanted a night out there are dog sitting services all over the lakes who do home boarding for a few hours then drop them back off to you!

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Sat 11-Mar-17 21:17:05

Findhorn. I don't think there are midges on the east coast - not as many, anyway. Hippy campsite plus chip shop. Beautiful.

Juveniledelinquent Sat 11-Mar-17 21:17:11

Anglesey is beautiful and has lots of great beaches.

Missanneshirley Sat 11-Mar-17 22:21:51

Oh lovely suggestions thank you!

TheSkyesTheLimit Sat 11-Mar-17 22:35:30

Northumberland is lovely, the small campsite at Beadnell is small but right across from a gorgeous beach so fab for the dog. Beadnell has a couple of nice pubs and seahouses/bamburgh close by too for shops etc.

Missanneshirley Sun 12-Mar-17 16:43:30

Beadnell area and north Yorkshire have both been on my short list actually so nice to have them confirmed as possibilities thank you!
Are any of these places really rammed full in summer?

BertrandRussell Sun 12-Mar-17 16:48:04

I was going to suggest Rosemarkie. Best campsite ever- you can watch dolphins from your tent. But it's still in Scotland.........

BarchesterFlowers Sun 12-Mar-17 16:54:28

Robin Hoods Bay gets busy. We couldn't get into Serenity once last year (we are only about 50 miles away) so it is an easy weekend spot.

We either go to east coast or lakes for short trips. East coast seems less wet, not sure whether the stats confirm that or if it is my perception.

Missanneshirley Sun 12-Mar-17 16:56:25

I looked at that campsite last night! Haven't been up there for years. Is there much in Rosemarkie?

TattiePants Sun 12-Mar-17 21:12:03

Baxby Manor in Yorkshire of Humble Bee Farm on Yorkshire coast (near Scarborough) are both lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now