& will they mind I haven't got one yet?

Club motor home
Camping & caravanning club
Caravan & motor home club

Or something else?

PisforPeter Sun 05-Mar-17 13:40:21

c&mhc

katymac Sun 05-Mar-17 20:52:32

Thanks - the rate things are going I'll never actually buy one!!

PossumInAPearTree Thu 09-Mar-17 19:03:44

Well they won't know you haven't got one yet as I assume you're not going to turn up on site until you do have one. grin

There's pros and cons do both the caravan club (now caravan and motor home club) and the caravan and camping club.

I've been in both previously and have remained in the caravan club. I prefer their booking system as you don't have to pay a deposit which allows me to book early and then cancel later on if I wish. Some people moan about this as they say some people pre book pretty much every weekend just cancel a week before so if you're not quick off the mark you struggle to get in anywhere.

Both clubs have rules, general consensus is the caravan club have more and are stictly enforced. But I love a good rule list. You know where you are and there are standards! grin. No noisy fuckers on a caravan club site, nobody dumping cars half on a pitch and half on the grass, no dogs running about the place shitting everywhere.

katymac Thu 09-Mar-17 19:07:21

Well we won't know where we want to stay until a day or 2 before hand

Gosh this is more complicated than I thought

I am having a wobble about it all

Toooldtobearsed Thu 09-Mar-17 19:14:52

We have a motorhome and are in both clubs. Caravan Club (as was) is better, as poster PossumInAPearTree says, due to no money uo front and easy cancellation.
I like Caravan and camping club because it is more casual for some reason (and Keswick site is Caravan and Camping Club).

BUT, we regularly wild camp and also search using www.ukcampsite.co.uk to find pub sites, unusual places etc,
Well worth checking that out for the reviews too!

Dont sweat, it is much easier doing it than thinking about it 😆

We are off to Knaresborough for a few days in ours and using a small farm site found through uk campsite.

Enjoy!

Juveniledelinquent Thu 09-Mar-17 19:17:15

You don't actually need to join a club. Most caravan sites take motorhomes as well as caravans. In some places there are spaces for motorhomes to park. For example in Matlock you can park overnight for a £1. When we were in Wales earlier this year we found quite a few places we could park near the beach.

We also do pub stops. These are brilliant if you're going to eat in the pub anyway. Have a look at Brit Stops www.britstops.com.

If you go abroad many countries, particularly France and Spain have aires, which are especially for motorhomes. www.all-the-aires.com

Having said that we've been in both the clubs but we prefer the Caravan and Motorhome Club, purely for their small sites. These are called CL Sites and can take only five caravans or motorhomes. Very often these are farm sites and are really quiet.

PossumInAPearTree Thu 09-Mar-17 19:34:59

If you don't know where you want to stay until a few days before then I would say go with the caravan and camping club. They also have more CLs than the caravan club which probably works better with a motor home.....they don't tend to get booked up like the club sites do.

PossumInAPearTree Thu 09-Mar-17 19:37:12

I used to have a camper van which I brought with visions of drifting round the UK, going where I fancied, spur of the moment decisions, etc. Then realised I'm not a last minute type of person, didn't like the stress of not having pre booked everything ages in advance and bought a caravan instead!

katymac Thu 09-Mar-17 19:45:48

Possum grin

Me too - so I have taken 4 months off work (well job hunting) & we are off on a big adventure (with the cat)

katymac Mon 13-Mar-17 12:31:34

Is this worth joining?

Is anyone a member?

Toooldtobearsed Mon 13-Mar-17 15:23:45

Not a member of that one @katymac but members of www.wildcamping.co.uk

About £17 a year and a mine of information. You do need to be a member to get all the maps etc, but have a poke around the forum first.

We must have saved hundreds of quid in the first year and found some cracking spots 😊

Milliways Mon 13-Mar-17 21:29:34

this is a great site, covers pub stopovers to campsites

Wolfiefan Mon 13-Mar-17 21:31:18

You could do a tour of MN recommended sites. That'd take a while!!! grin

katymac Tue 14-Mar-17 07:57:55

Thanks miliways that's great

I could tour them & now I know they exist I will certainly look at reviews - thank you

katymac Tue 14-Mar-17 07:59:16

Whoops missed yours tooold which also looks useful

I may need to line up all the websites & scheme to see which is the best combination

Workingmum34 Sun 26-Mar-17 11:17:10

Anyone know which of the camping and caravaning clubs give the best discount on ferry crossings? Trying to decide which to join of the two - we have a caravan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now