Talk

Advanced search

Keeping warm at Easter.

(21 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 25-Feb-17 22:15:45

I need your top tips. We camped at Easter a couple of years ago and remember it being cold, but not sure what we did to keep warm.

ThomasRichard Sat 25-Feb-17 22:30:25

Easter's quite late this year so you should be ok. Generally, the trick is to ensure that you're insulated from the ground, which for us means putting foil-backed roll-mats under our mattresses. Take a fleecy blanket each to pull on top if it's super chilly and you're sorted.

Bodeccia Sun 26-Feb-17 08:21:41

Always have a hat / hood on. We went camping last year on the first May bank holiday, and there was a frost. Insulation and extra blankets as said above, plus hats, plus hot water bottles made such a difference.

Also, stay dry: we never wear shoes inside the tent and have mats by the front door where we remove anything that might bring water into the tent.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 26-Feb-17 08:38:55

Thank you, I shall google foil-backed roll mats. @Bodeccia do you mean just inside the tent or just outside? What do you put down?

profpoopsnagle Sun 26-Feb-17 08:54:52

I flatten a cardboard box to use as a doormat for inside the tent. Ace at catching wet and drips, plus you can throw in the recycling at the end.

MrsGsnow18 Sun 26-Feb-17 08:59:19

Take some slippers or mule type flip flops for wearing inside the tent when walking around. Last year at Easter my feet were freezing when sitting in the main bit of our tent (we don't allow shoes that have been outside into the tent proper)
Other than that I'd agree with good insulating mat or air mattress to keep coldness of the ground away and pack lots of layers for layering up.
You never know the weather might be good, but it'll prob still get chilly at night.

HerOtherHalf Sun 26-Feb-17 09:03:08

If it's within your budget, get a down filled mat. Exped do them in various sizes and both lightweight and car camping specs. Worth every penny.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 26-Feb-17 14:04:25

Well I've made a start anyway. Just bought a zip up fleece for £6 off a sale rail. How classy am I? grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 26-Feb-17 15:05:57

Has anyone tried the heated carpet yet?

samlovesdilys Wed 01-Mar-17 18:18:14

Looking at self inflated mattresses because everyone says they are warmer than witness...how thick do I need to have? I can find 5/7.5/10cm...guessing the thicker the better?? Any brands recommended?? Thank you.

alexw Wed 01-Mar-17 19:24:03

Outwell dreamboat. Best sim ever!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 01-Mar-17 20:40:17

What's good about the dreamboat @alexw?

hillbilly Wed 01-Mar-17 21:39:50

I have a vango 7.5cm SIM. Which is fab. Had it 7 years now so there are prob better around now. It's so comfy though I always sleep well in it and warm too. I usually have a picnic blanket beneath it, a blanket on top then me in my super warm sleeping bag. Toasty!

harderandharder2breathe Thu 02-Mar-17 20:05:15

I use a foil backed picnic mat undearneth my SIM, bought it at a week long camp in AUGUST after shivering all through the previous night. I also get a blacket in my sleeping bag with me but then I have a pod one which is definitely not the warmest option but being obese and wriggly it suits me apart from that.

alexw Thu 02-Mar-17 21:35:59

Best thing is it's square - no rolled edges so no fall out. Really stretchy cover material so 'give' in mattress. Have had ours for a few years now. Never cold. Never uncomfortable. Quite large - 2 together is massive! Am quite small but love the spCe and warmth. Dh not so small lives comfort - can lie on side and still be comfortable.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 03-Mar-17 21:57:26

@alexw sounds good [smle]. Will google that too.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 30-Mar-17 20:32:52

Just bumping in case anyone else is off camping this Easter. We go this weekend. Can't wait.

BiddyPop Thu 30-Mar-17 20:56:25

I found my letter to parents today from last Mau bank holiday camping trip with Cubs so I will come. Ack to this tomorrow at work (where I have the letters safely stored!)

BiddyPop Fri 31-Mar-17 10:30:08

For May bank holiday weekend, I put a foil-backed picnic rug as the base to my sleeping space, then a blanket folded in 2, then my SIM, 4 season sleeping bag, and another fleecy rug/blanket doubled over on top. (I am a cold creature and wanted to capture as much sleep as possible between Cub middle of the night emergencies - next Leader we allow in will be a second woman!!). I also use a hot water bottle and thick dry socks (a pair kept for bed).

Once dinner was over and washup done, I changed for bed, sort of. I changed my under-layers, put on thermals (long legs, long arms ones), added my comfy jersey PJs, then put my fleece lined trousers and Scout jumper back on top, for around the campfire etc. At that stage, I also put on a woolly hat.

When it got to bedtime later, I took off the outer layer which was a little damp (misty evenings), but only had to let cold air at my feet as I changed socks - I put a dry hoodie over the top of my pjs but didn't have to change those layers, put my hat back on and hopped into the bag. It's much easier to keep the air trapped in your layers close to your skin warm by not moving them too much than try to get warm again late in the evening.

I have always tended to sleep with a hat on and a thermal layer when camping (never get lucky enough to get really warm nights!). But insulating UNDER your sleeping bag is almost more important than extra layers on top, as the cold tends to come more from the ground than the air.

And of course, a hot chocolate just before bed is very useful too. (Alcohol isn't great anyway but totally not allowed on Scout events so wasn't an option). I also bring a flask of tea to my tent - with the milk in, ready to drink, in case I have to get up later and need something warm to settle me back (in case - see note above about the next Leader!! Apparently Mammy's are what's needed middle of the night) and again for my first thing in the morning cup, before facing Cubs and demands for breakfast while still bleary eyed....

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 01-Apr-17 08:31:38

@hilbilly think this is the thread that Barchester mentioned smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Apr-17 08:53:50

Well we're back and it was fab. I did the shower and change for bed thing then put my clothes back on top on Monday but that was the only cool night. The picnic blankets in the bedrooms worked a treat, DD kept saying she was glamping as she had a big furry throw over her sleeping bag as well as carpet. Love her, she is so easily pleased smile

Thank you everyone for your suggestions smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: