Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone talk to me about motor home/camper van layouts please?

(25 Posts)
katymac Sat 25-Feb-17 19:42:31

We think we want a fixed bed (so DH & I can do separate things at separate times watch TV/read in bed)

We thinks we want a french bed (DH too long for an island bed & neither of us want to climb over the other when we get up to go to the loo at night, and yes we oth go to the loo at night wink)

We think we want automatic (actually we know we do I can't use a clutch - but someone brought up an automatic clutch today which I know little about)

We'd like to put a moped on the back of it (we really really would)

But I am struggling with picking! What works for you & how can I compromise?

Ledkr Sat 25-Feb-17 20:34:45

We had no choice as budget was limited so have an over cab bed for the kids and we have to convert our seating arrangement to make our giant bed.
It's a hassle and onovejy days we don't bother to put it back up as we sit outside.
If money was no object I'd defo have a separate bedroom with a fixed bed.

museumum Sat 25-Feb-17 20:38:07

We have a converting couch/bed because we wanted more indoor space for wet weather and wanted to keep the overall van size down for driving /parking / ferries.
We are in Scotland and drive single track roads, take island ferries and park at beauty spots and for hill or forest walks.
We also visit the Lake District - roads are very narrow there!

katymac Sat 25-Feb-17 20:44:00

Thanks - I have quite limited mobility joint issues & generally spend a fair amount of time in bed anyway &DH is getting on a bit

We are having a 'mad midlife crisis' & having a 4 month holiday!!

So we can't go too small or we might kill each other

Ledkr Sat 25-Feb-17 20:47:57

We also needed seat belts for the kids so again we're limited.
It's great though, such good fun and yes it's bliss having the toilet. grin
We are also night time weeers

katymac Sat 25-Feb-17 20:50:57

Yes - we need a third belt in case DD wants to come for a weekend wink, she can sleep in a tent but she needs transport

We hope to sell it in 6 months (after the holiday) & pay back all the debt

MouldyPeach Sat 25-Feb-17 20:58:02

Was at the camping and caravan show today and saw MANY motor homes. All the fixed beds, and I mean every one I saw, looked tiny, like your feet would hang over the edge of you are anything over about 5'2" , convertible beds were much bigger.
Can you go anywhere to look at different layouts? C&C show is on til tomorrow if you are anywhere near NEC Birmingham.

katymac Sat 25-Feb-17 21:03:05

We went on Tuesday which is why I cm eup with what I think we need

DH tried several beds the french beds were the best I think - the island beds were a nightmare!! The long across the back beds were good but he'd have to climb over me or vice versa - which wouldn't work

katymac Sat 25-Feb-17 21:54:43

I was hoping you were all going to say I was talking through my hat & an XYZ would work fine!! wink

Ledkr Sat 25-Feb-17 23:23:57

Our bed it huge when we convert the seats. We put a SIM on it and it's very comfy and dh is 6ft2.
I love the mornings when we sit there drinking tea and reading our books before the kids wake up.

katymac Sun 26-Feb-17 08:28:07

If I was in bed is there anywhere for DH to sit + watch telly?

Bubblysqueak Sun 26-Feb-17 08:31:30

If you're anywhere near the NEC , today is the last day of their motor home, caravan and camping show. There are 100's to look at with so many different layouts to consider and try out, all in one place.

katymac Sun 26-Feb-17 08:34:01

I went on Tuesday - I'm just straggling to actually buy a second hand one in a layout I like

katymac Sun 26-Feb-17 08:35:03

We went in hundreds tbh + that's how we picked the version we wanted

Milliways Sun 26-Feb-17 16:34:34

Why were island beds a nightmare? They give you most room and the only one that neither has to climb over someone to get out, and no length lost from the corner cut off? Some can be pushed up to a half seated day bed position to save room in the daytime too.
Don't get me wrong- we manage fine with our French bed, I get the short side and DH has to climb over me which I allow as he's making the morning cuppa! But I did luv my island bed when we had one.

katymac Sun 26-Feb-17 17:39:02

DH lay on a few & his feet hung over the end quite a lot - they all looked to be strongly 'shield' shaped and his feet dangled

We tred a french bed & he got out the bottom easily

katymac Sun 26-Feb-17 19:27:46

Maybe we should compromise on seat belts & not let DD come with us or use the moped if we need to transport her?

katymac Sun 26-Feb-17 21:37:06

I just don't think we can afford it

Bugger

katymac Tue 28-Feb-17 21:16:53

off to see another one tomorrow

Must be more positive!!

katymac Wed 01-Mar-17 16:00:27

It's lovely but has no oven

Could I use a coined microwave/oven /grill an ordinary one??

Milliways Wed 01-Mar-17 16:51:54

Does it have a microwave? Most European models don't have an oven, they all barbecue. We have an oven but only really use it in the winter for reheating of decent ready meals (e.g. Dine in for 2 meals- justified as we are on holiday and it's too cold/wet/dark to cook outside) although DH cooks outside unless it's really stormy or wet. That's what makes him happy. Of course, if no EHU then you have to just use the hob or BBQ.
If you have a hob and a microwave you will be fine in the summer, and The winter if you meal plan. Lots of 1 pot meals.
We have a 2 ring cooking book designed for caravans but have never actually used it!

hippoinamudhole Wed 01-Mar-17 16:59:18

The European ones don't have a shower either, you will need a UK spec motorhome if you want either.
Were the island beds on the side wall or the back wall because the ones fixed to the side walls pull out to give an extra 10 to 12 inches of bed

zgaze Wed 01-Mar-17 17:01:31

We had a Remoska in our camper van, that worked really well - you can do all sorts of oveny things in one.

katymac Wed 01-Mar-17 17:47:19

No Microwave that I could see - I'm goingt to speak to them in the morning - I came straight back to a hospital appt & only just got home

There was a very nice shower (but carpet in the bathroom - yuk!!)

The beds on a side wall were in very very expensive vans grin

That Remoska looks interesting we have a similar sort of slowcooker that can do chips or roasts or whatever which might be worth taking & I guess bacon will have to be fried - what a shame!!

katymac Fri 03-Mar-17 20:44:45

That one wasn't right but I am seeing another one tomorrow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now