Talk

Advanced search

Campervan with a baby - do you?

(8 Posts)
SpringSpringSpring Sat 11-Feb-17 18:46:32

We were going to replace our only car with a camper (bongo or similar) but having second thoughts now I'm pregnant. Would it be fun and allow us to go out more? Or would we never use it and be better going for a cheaper/ more sensible car? Would love to hear other people's experiences

HenryCatPic Sat 11-Feb-17 22:42:56

I actually think a campervan is much more practical with a baby than with older kids. We did lots of camping before our kids started school. Once they start school though you are so restricted. I would say go for it.

SpringSpringSpring Sun 12-Feb-17 10:28:11

That sounds positive, thanks Henry smile

TopKittyKat Sun 12-Feb-17 10:36:59

We bought a bongo two months before I fell pregnant. I'm 7 months now but we're hoping to use it lots during mat leave. Give me a few months and I can let you know how we get on grin

SpringSpringSpring Sun 12-Feb-17 17:59:46

Haha that would have been us if we hadn't been so indecisive on which to buy! Now thinking we might leave it until next spring

INeedNewShoes Sun 12-Feb-17 18:02:17

Just be careful about any camper van you buy being compatible with car seats.

There's no way a baby car seat would attach into my parents' camper van securely enough. The seats are quite different to car seats usually (because they are designed to double up as a sofa or turn into a bed).

Having said that, last summer I bumped into a couple in a camper van in France who were on a month long holiday with their 8 week old baby and having a lovely time!

Winterbelle Sun 12-Feb-17 18:44:56

Definitely agree about decent seat belts. Our first camper only had lap straps in the back so once the oldest was onto a booster seat it was no good and we ended up changing the van.
I used a pop up travel cot on the double bed when they were little and DH slept in the roof. We also had a driveaway awning we used if we were away for a week or longer so we had more room if the weather wasn't great.
I think they are brilliant with kids, we definitely get out and about lots.
We've got a VW transporter now and it's fab!

Crumbs1 Sun 12-Feb-17 19:24:55

We nearly divorced after a disastrous night in a camper van. We'd had a vw split screen in our youth and still had romantic image of it. We'd used the splitty with tent for weekends with foster children. It was fun and cheap.

Then we decided in a moment of ridiculous nostalgia to buy a comfortable box Luton with a sweet children's bed above the drivers seat and even a loo. I was pregnant with third. The others were three and two. Silly idea. It rained a lot. The quiet campsite had a loud rally of some sort drinking into the early hours with continual singing and laughing. The children couldn't settle. I needed the lavatory every hour but my husband had decided the chemical loo was disgustingly close to the bed so left it at home. We eventually settled around 4am to be woken at five by a whole muster of peacocks screeching as the sun rose. We were home by 9am but not speaking for another two days. Children thought it was brilliant as they were given McDonalds for breakfast (they'd never tried MDs before but at this point we just didn't care).
Don't go camping with babies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now