Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Making a caravan stylish

(9 Posts)
Workingmum34 Sat 11-Feb-17 08:15:19

So we have turned to the dark side and bought a caravan after years of camping and saying we never would (lure of an extended season and after much camper van thinking and investigating (too small for our growing kids) has finally made us surcombe) so the question is - how do I make it stylish / pretty / nice space to be? Any suggestions on where to buy lovely looking accessories etc etc. Help please. We have our old camping box box but we are still planning on camping so I don't want to take everything out as one of the appeals of the van is that we can store it at home and just drive off.

shanghaismog Sat 11-Feb-17 17:56:28

Paint the inside! Makes an amazing difference. Add all the usual glamping stuff. Unfortunately it still looks like a crappy ancient caravan from the outside smile

Workingmum34 Sun 12-Feb-17 11:12:59

Wow that looks fab!

EatSpamAmandaLamb Mon 13-Feb-17 22:48:41

What kind of style are you into?

RobertaCratchit Tue 14-Feb-17 08:29:34

It's the furnishings that always look so naff in caravans. I would choose a style: minimal/ smart or coastal or cupcake / bunting say, find fabric to reupholster the soft furnishings and curtains.

Then I would see how ghastly the cupboard fronts are and whether standard replacements are a possibility, or paint.

Nice flooring?

Workingmum34 Tue 14-Feb-17 22:44:44

It's pretty plain. We found a cheapish van with laminate flooring and beige cushion covers. Some I went in gave me a headache. Just trying to find plates etc that don't look like my mum owned them!

jaketweeneyistooadvancedfor2 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:58:47

If you've got a bit of basic sewing machine knowledge, it's really easy to make quick, removable for the seat cushions. I redid the covers on our old girl - based on fitted sheet instructions (loads of YouTube tutorials). Basically making a fabric 'box lid' and hemming elastic on the underside. Curtains are also easy to do, just remove old ones and use as a template - the popper tape is pretty cheap off ebay.

DEMum101 Thu 23-Feb-17 16:24:13

If you like vintage/retro style, this might give you some ideas: www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1446304515/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3HO5J3W54SUCD&coliid=IEB76ENN0IK5I&tag=mumsnetforum-21

VittysCardigan Sat 15-Jul-17 12:11:45

What paint do you use? Just bought a caravan & it's all a bit 90's pub terracotta!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now