Talk

Advanced search

Camping at Easter?

(13 Posts)
parklives Mon 06-Feb-17 18:05:22

Would it be too cold?
I know it's too early for a weather forecast, but I know it can often snow at Easter.
We don't have heating, but would be going to south coast or Norfolk.
Too soon in the year?

Wolfiefan Mon 06-Feb-17 18:10:18

Depends. Have you lots of decent bedding? Cheapo sleeping bags are no good. At least decent three season. And blankets. And thermals. And a place where you can go and warm up. And a lovely heated shower/toilet block!
How early/late in the season do you normally camp?

Bubblysqueak Mon 06-Feb-17 18:12:38

We did last year and will be doing it again this year with 2 dc 3 &4 . Decent sleeping bags, lots of blankets, good pj's and a decent heater for the evening's.

Wolfiefan Mon 06-Feb-17 18:14:22

Oh and PJs on early before it gets really cold then layers on top until bed. Nothing worse than stripping off and getting cold just before bedtime. Brrrrrr!
Make sure any heater is safe for use indoors. And a carpet for tent (or blankets) will help insulate.
Layers are your friends. And a hat!

parklives Mon 06-Feb-17 19:29:17

I guess it's not so much once we're in bed, as I am the hot water bottle queen, more that the hanging round bit (most enjoyable part of camping IMHO) won't be that pleasant if we are freezing.
I've only ever been camping in the summer/abroad.
Might just start looking at airbnb as a safer bet instead.

Timefor2 Mon 06-Feb-17 19:31:57

Years back we went (pre kids), it was a year with a late Easter and a glorious forecast - but because it was cloudless it was seriously freezing overnight. We did sit around the campfire for the evening (with plenty of booze) so got chilly which probably contributed to us then being cold throughout the night.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 06-Feb-17 19:33:31

We've done it and we didn't have heating either smile

JellyWitch Mon 06-Feb-17 19:36:57

We will be and the weekend before, no heaters but we will have a good fire in the evenings.

Wolfiefan Mon 06-Feb-17 19:38:21

Layers and blankets will mean the pre bed bit is ok. Especially with a heater or unzipped sleeping bag over you! Decent kit and clothing is the key.

dangermouseisace Mon 06-Feb-17 21:19:44

We haven't done Easter but we did a really unusually cold May (4 degrees each eve/morning!). We've been super prepared since. Get thermals NOW as you won't be able to get them later. Take hats, gloves and more socks than you can possibly ever use. Buffs too are good-buff over mouth and nose (you not kids), hat/another buff on head. For kids I'd heartily recommend finding somewhere with proper hot showers/a bath and as pp has said heated blocks. Before it gets dark basically cook the entire family in the shower/bath then bundle yourselves up to avoid heat loss. We all slept fine after the 1st night of cold when we didn't have enough clothes on...we were off the ground though- camp bed with self inflating mat on top, then sleeping bag. I don't know if that helped but I felt it did as I always got really cold on air beds.

hillbilly Tue 07-Feb-17 12:18:53

We usually camp at Easter. Always somewhere that we can have a campfire. Thermals hot water bottles and good sleeping bags necessary. But being cosy around the fire makes it all worthwhile. Sometimes during the daytime it's t shirt weather but with the clear skies come cold nights. We are heading out next week but glamping and will have a woodburner inside as well as an outdoor fire so should be fine 🌞❄️🔥

MrsHathaway Tue 07-Feb-17 12:46:48

Easter is quite late again this year - 17/4 I think.

Get warm nightwear (eg thermal underwear plus fleece onesie/pjs) on as it's getting dark as that's when the temperature suddenly drops.

Lots of layers. Porch for wellies/Crocs and to have a clothes maiden.

DH wants to book Hurley again for Easter - I'm not sure I can be arsed to drive that far for so few nights but it is a lovely site.

MrsHathaway Tue 07-Feb-17 12:50:18

And yy to camp beds as air beds are freezing.

"One layer under you is worth two over you" - I recommend these £3 IKEA fleece blankets because they're space saving and warm - one under and one over a good 3-season with warm nightwear are very cosy.

Yy to pp's excellent suggestion of getting properly warm under hot water before putting your nightwear on, as well. And don't wash up in the dark if the washing up stations are outside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now