Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been on Plymouth Santander crossing recently?

(6 Posts)
notsosure Mon 26-Feb-07 22:51:49

DH and I are plannning a 2 week camping trip for June 2007 with our (by then) nearly 4 year old.
Starting Plymouth - Santander crossing, travelling up to France in our VW campervan.
We will take shorter ferry crossing back from Northern France back to Plymouth.
Has anyone else done similar trip and have any useful tips about travelling with 4 year old and any memorable sights to see along the way and camping sites.
Many thanks and looking forward to your replies.

Notsosure xx

Jimjams2 Mon 26-Feb-07 23:06:46

Have you checked the price- Plymouth to Santander is very expensive. I haven't been on that ferry, but it is apparently lush, be careful on the way back though, the other boat is dreadful.Unless they've got their second new ferry in place by then.

Would do it if we could go on holiday- do be careful in Spain though - last summer quite a few local families were robbed travelling through Spain by car- a number of articles in the local paper+ happened to a friend of a friend.

Califrau Mon 26-Feb-07 23:09:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

notsosure Tue 27-Feb-07 21:19:17

Oh dear, not that encouraging so far.
I have been on thqt crossing too, but about 23ish years ago and I felt really sea sick too. I've been told that the ferry has improced a lot now though.
Has anyone else been on it?

Sounds bad about being robbed in Spain.
When was that?

Jimjams2 Wed 28-Feb-07 20:02:14

LAST YEAR THERE whoops were a spate of Spanish robberies.

The seasickness thing should be much better- the new boat (the pont aven) is stabilised iirc. My Mum who gets seasick in calm waters as soon as a boat heads out to sea has managed several crossings on the Pont Aven without being sick.

notsosure Thu 01-Mar-07 12:49:35

Thanks Jim-jam.

I think we are going to be heading up to France fairly sharpish rather than hanging around Spain. Thanks for the warning , though.

I am a bit worried about the sea-sickness thing, but I have been reassured by other people, as well as yourself, that the new ferry is a lot more stable than it was.

The way I see it is that my daughter starts school in September 2008 and this is one of our last chances to go on holiday when we want to go. (I don't want to take her out of school to go on holiday). June time will be a lovely uncrowded time to go and it'll be nice and warm.

Thanks again.
Any other opinions would be nice.

What places would people recommended to go to , camp sites etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now