Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Camping cooking - advice and tips please

(9 Posts)
Bucketsofdynomite Sun 25-Feb-07 11:30:20

This year I have promised DH we can cook our own food whilst camping as youngest just turned 2. Last year we ate out loads and the kids lived off harvest crunch bars.
I am kind of terrified at the concept (esp with fussy dd, seems a lot of work for bacon butties for me and dh.) Was thinking one of those cute metal bucket barbecues might suffice to amuse DH without taking up too much space or being too rickety around 2yr old.
I'd be really grateful for ANY tips, food ideas and warnings on the subject of camping catering, thanks.

Lucycat Sun 25-Feb-07 15:41:23

I tend to keep it quite basic on holiday - PeachyClair and sallys are much more adventurous and exotic!

Simple stuff means pasta and a sauce or rice (boil in the bag is a godsend when camping)with a simple sauce, chicken and veg for example. My 2 love tinned sweetcorn so they eat a lot of that! We will buy cooked chicken quite often or make salads. Weather and campsite allowing then barbecues are really easy, a disposable one on a couple fo bricks or an enclosed kettle type one are good - sweetcorn wrapped in foil is delicious.
All I would say is buy local food from local shops - food tastes so good outside anyway, why ruin it with supermarket food - shop local!!

We have one of these stoves

I would also invest in some plastic tubs to keep your food in, so the mice don't get it and a couple of windbreaks to corral off the cooking area.

hth, if I think of anything else, i'll be back!

amynnixmum Sun 25-Feb-07 15:52:17

We cook a lot of bbq's as a rule but when we camp early in the season its often not good enough weather for that so the we tend to go simple like lucycat. We have bread and soup; hotdogs out of a tin and rolls; baked beans on toast; pasta and sauce etc. We also buy ready made salads and sometimes a ready cooked hot chicken.

We always have cereal in the morning or croissants and then sandwiches etc for lunch. This keeps costs down so we can get nice stuff for tea (and wine of course)

We have a portable bbq from b&q which is great and we also have a cooker with 2 rings and a grill- the grills not up to much though tbh. We have one of those camping kitchens that has a hanging larder underneath on one side and a shelf for pans etc on the other.

amynnixmum Sun 25-Feb-07 15:54:06

Just looked at lucycats stove and we have the same one
My sister cooks a spag bol or something like that before she goes and then heats it up on the stove as an easy meal for that first evening when everyone tends to be knackered.

Blandmum Sun 25-Feb-07 15:54:28

Cous cous. 'cooks' in a bowl, leaving you 2 rings free for other stuff

You have to have bacon butties....one of the joys of camping, bacon bcooking in the fresh air!

Loads of BBQs.

Soups

Blandmum Sun 25-Feb-07 15:54:58

we have a stove like that but without the grill

Lucycat Sun 25-Feb-07 15:55:56

Hi there mb! Did you have a nice break away?

Blandmum Sun 25-Feb-07 15:57:42

utterly fabbo, didn't eben miss the tent!

Lucycat Sun 25-Feb-07 16:01:54

so pleased

about having a good time I mean, not missing the tent!

I persuaded marymoocow to buy an Indiana 8

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now