Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone stayed at Le Vieux Port, near Biarrtiz?

(14 Posts)
OrangeSunset Thu 19-Jan-17 22:08:07

We've left it late, but now decided to head to Francr again.

Anyone stayed here? Le Vieux Port near Biarritz?

http://www.levieuxport.com/?_ga=1.224937434.1949346874.1484863405

Expensive but lots to do. Is it too noisy though? We stayed in a lovely campsite last year, but it was very small and the area (Vendee) rather dull. Hoping for more action but also chill time!

kathryn77 Thu 19-Jan-17 22:17:08

Yes we did in the summer of 2014.

I don't remember it being noisey, it was a large site and the entertainment etc was almost outside the park, right next to it but there was small fairground rides etc.

We enjoyed it, the beach was directly accessible although it was a bit of a slope up and down to get there and the waves were rough (but expect you get that in other places but we did think it was worse than in vendee 2015 and Brittany previously).

There was a lovely lake near by, biking (..walking distance) away which was nice and a small town nearby with markets and bars.

One downside for us was it was a wood so no Bbq! This is usually a big part of holiday !

We randomly bumped into our next door neighbours but one on the beach on day 1 and they actually have bought a caravan there and go most holidays!

It is a long drive, we are Worcestershire based but our kids are good in the car, we planned the journey to stop at mac Donald's where there was play areas for an hour or so (and a cofffee).

OrangeSunset Thu 19-Jan-17 22:23:12

Aha, thank you!
We're thinking of doing the overnight ferry to Spain then driving up.
Can you walk to the town?
Not too worried about the BBQ thing as we have a safari chef.

noarguments Sat 21-Jan-17 09:32:54

We're looking at this one too - just saw on another thread that the men/boys have to wear speedos or similar - not baggy shorts in the pool - not a deciding factor but bear it in mind!
Also concerned about noise / entertainment (which we tend to avoid) etc but we're going at half term so it should be quieter.
Watching in case of other feedback.

OrangeSunset Sat 21-Jan-17 21:24:55

We've decided against this one now - sounds like a gigantic site, and maybe a bit too hectic for us. It's all VERY expensive.
The speedo thing is a common rule in France tho I think.

Donotpress Sat 21-Jan-17 21:26:10

What is that speedo rule for? Just being nosey!

whowouldknow Sat 21-Jan-17 21:30:29

We stayed here 2 years ago-my least favourite site for us-too busy-queues for everything and pool so busy. It was hectic all the time and not our sort of place. But we have a young ds so maybe good for older kids?

cholla Sat 21-Jan-17 21:31:18

Haven't got first hand experience but know people who worked here who couldn't rate it highly enough

whowouldknow Sat 21-Jan-17 21:31:22

Also keen to know reason for speedos - common place in France but I don't know why?

lokisglowstickofdestiny1 Sat 21-Jan-17 21:33:54

Very large, noise isn't as enforced as well as some other campsites (I went about 3 years ago). Yes you can walk to town. Beach is very good, great for surfing and body boarding, usual Atlantic beach - can get big and rough surf.
Speedo rule - men can't wear board style shorts.

OrangeSunset Sat 21-Jan-17 21:35:54

It's to do with moulting, you know, hair.

OR it's to do with general cleanliness i.e. That speedos are only worn in the pool, you wouldn't sit on the grass/beach/wherever in them and then jump in the pool.

As for Le Vieux Port, yes I agree that it'll probably be on the list for when DC are older but not for now. Also read about crazy queues for check in etc in peak season.

Have started another thread for our new search...

kathryn77 Sun 22-Jan-17 08:19:14

I had forgotten about the speedos. Yes they did enforce it. My 18 month old only had baggy shorts and they made us strip in to a nappy rather than wear them.

I think you could do walk to town, we did I'm sure.
We did Brittany ferry then drove down. I think the Spanish ferry was too expensive for us. Our neighbours to the Calais tunnel then drive down!

kathryn77 Sun 22-Jan-17 08:24:24

We loved Clarys plage at st jeans de mer. - shorter drive and again a lake nearby and town to walk to.

OrangeSunset Sun 22-Jan-17 17:44:13

Thanks kathryn, have just looked for that one and it looks quite far north

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now