Talk

Advanced search

Anything missing from my 'essentials' list?

(60 Posts)
PaddedRoomForOnePlease Thu 19-Jan-17 15:22:40

We now have a tent and had a practice camp in September but I would like to get everything up together so we can use it lots this year. Are there any glaring omissions from this list?

tent
footprint
poles
pegs
mallets x2
peg remover
roof protector
carpets
repair kit

lantern
windup torch x4
head torch
room bulbs x4
fairy lights
glowsticks
spare batteries

tubs x2
bin & bags
broom
feather duster
pegs & line
dettol wipes
cloths
sponge
wash up liquid
tea towel x2
paper towel

chairs x2
kids chairs x2
table
stick tables x2
waterproof blanket

stove
fuel
lighter / matches
pans
tongs
spatula
knife
grater
opener
scissors
chopping board
oven gloves
cutlery
plates
bowls
beakers
thermal mugs
2L bottles x2
cool box
ice blocks

double mat
double bag
single mats x2
single bags x2
pillows x4

tubs x2
first aid
handwarmers
loo roll
tissues
baby wipes
sun lotion
aftersun
insect repellant
towels x4
toiletries

I haven't put clothes down as we just layer up but I've tried to think of everything else. I've got a little drawer unit from wilko for the cooking stuff, torches etc and a couple of hanging pouch things for shoes, coats and all that.

I haven't got all of these things yet but I'm off to the Caravan, Camping and Motorhome Show next month so might get some bits there. Just planning ahead so it can be all packed ready to sling in the car and go last minute should the weather be nice.

Oh, I forgot to say it's me, DH and two children aged 2.5 and 4.

profpoopsnagle Thu 19-Jan-17 16:13:53

A washing up bowl is often useful, and/or a universal plug in case they are missing.

Butchers hooks, duct tape, sandwich/freezer bags. citronella candles?

I also have a few plastic boxes with lids from takeaways, useful for all sorts.

Gnome134 Thu 19-Jan-17 16:17:29

I'd add hot water bottles. I find it hard to warm up in a sleeping bag if I start off cold!

SweetChickadee Thu 19-Jan-17 16:19:47

why are you taking a feather duster???

SweetChickadee Thu 19-Jan-17 16:21:38

def washing up bowl, and a drying rack too

and I get through loads of tea towels, I'd take at least 4 so you can always find a dry one

and string/twine/rope for a washing line

SweetChickadee Thu 19-Jan-17 16:22:37

oh you have pegs and a line, sorry

I'd still take twine - handy to tie a tarp to a tree if it's wet

mirokarikovo Thu 19-Jan-17 16:27:07

Dustpan and brush rather than broom - the inside of a tent does need a good sweeping after a couple of nights residence but you need the dustpan.

I'm a great fan of using these when camping as we all hate traipsing through a campsite in my pyjamas to get to a loo. We have one per member of the family so no sharing.

Kahlua4me Thu 19-Jan-17 20:09:07

Bottle opener is essential!
Herbs and spices are good to take from home rather than always buying new ones.
Games for kids to play early morning.

PaddedRoomForOnePlease Thu 19-Jan-17 20:47:04

Thank you all for the great suggestions, I'll get adding to my master plan.

profpoopsnagle I'd forgotten those bits. Will find our plug thingy. I didn't explain but the tubs I put are those poundland buckets so I use them for washing up, drying up, recycling etc but they are a bit small for washing up so will get a proper washing up bowl.

SweetChickadee The feather duster is for swatting away all the bugs that accumulate at the top of the tent, I sort of swish them towards the doors and off they go. It's good for the kids to tear apart too grin. I will get more tea towels though, I thought 2 might be a bit optimistic.

mirokarikovo yes to the personal toilet - I had a potty and crystal cat litter for DD last time and was tempted to use that. The uriwell looks more civilized grin. Dustpan and brush added to the shopping list. Home bargains here I come.

Definitely need hot bots Gnome134, I must add them on, gets the kids to sleep quicker as well.

I won't be cooking Kahlua4me but good idea about the spices, I'll get DH onto that. Yes to bottle opener, definitely an essential wine

Cheers for that, I had definitely forgotten things that would be sorely missed

MazDazzle Thu 19-Jan-17 20:56:28

I always take 2 large pump top flasks. I keep cold milk in one and hot water in the other.

PaddedRoomForOnePlease Fri 20-Jan-17 06:56:34

mazdazzle I think I looked into those before, they look fab. They're on the list smile

SuperManStoleMyPants Fri 20-Jan-17 07:03:36

Gaffa tape. I always take gaffa tape incase anything tears or breaks.

cece Fri 20-Jan-17 07:13:18

I always take a sharpie for marking my stuff in the communal fridge (if there is one)

averythinline Fri 20-Jan-17 08:18:25

fleece blankets -multiple good for extra layers inside and out

Door mat -we have one of those rubber type with a pattern (hope that makes sense) for wiping shoes before coming in tent and a fabric one for landing on if coming in a hurry

picnic rug (or 2) i usually put under sleeping mats then when ds rolls off not on cold floor

I pack a towel-towelling not micro fibre (not good one for mopping floor/wiping down waterproofs etc)

butchers hooks or something to hang waterproofs up - friend has bigger tent then me and rigs up clothes rail using broom handle

but micro fibre towels and hair turban things (decathlon are your friend for the towels) as they pack so much smaller for after showers
anti bacterial hand gel for children that arent great at washing hands!

i know you've not put clothes but would have hats n gloves - esp hats I have them in my kitchen box now as often forget and make a great difference when the sun goes down and Thermals long sleeves and legs - the best anti-cold get the kids dressed in thermals, pjs with outer clothes on top before it gets too dark-

I am a big fan of waterproof over trousers as stop clothes getting damp and dry quickly - really useful on damp mornings and pack small!

averythinline Fri 20-Jan-17 08:19:40

and gaffa tape of course...

PaddedRoomForOnePlease Sun 22-Jan-17 17:12:55

Thanks for all the extra ideas. I have been reading them but on my phone and I find it hard to type replies on it. Managed to get a go on the laptop this afternoon so will be updating my camping list and getting on with buying some more bits.

I will dig out a sharpie, good idea about fridge stuff, ice blocks etc (I probably wouldn't remember what is my stuff anyway!). And I'll make sure we all have a fleece blanket, I got the kids teddy bear ones for Christmas so they'll be perfect). I think I'll pack some wire hangers for waterproofs as the tent has some drying rails.

I've bought Decathlon microfibre dressing gowns thanks to a previous Mumsnet thread, they are awesome and I can stroll around the campsite in it and get dressed in the tent. No more clothes falling on the shower room floor grin

Clothes wise my best buy so far has been Primark velvet lined leggings, they are soooo toasty. Need to find something similar for the kids.

I've got gaffa tape and I've got something called Tenacious tape on my list to buy, apparently it's great for mending tents which is good as I ripped mine last time. Good job the tent was second hand or I might have had a little cry.

Thanks again flowers

Oh yeah, we also need a bigger car, the Octavia estate wasn't big enough to fit our stuff in last time shock and we have more to buy. Minimal camping is obviously not my thing wink

FusionChefGeoff Fri 27-Jan-17 07:01:24

Love love this thread thank you!!! We're novice campers and I have a similar paranoia about not knowing what I'll need so this is awesome.

PaddedRoomForOnePlease Fri 27-Jan-17 20:11:44

I'm really looking forward to camping this year now I know we've covered the basics and as an over-planner I know it will be more relaxing. Just need to buy the stuff now.

ukcampsite.co.uk has really good forums too but MN is a bit more user friendly and child biased too.

Blu Sat 28-Jan-17 16:23:13

Ooh, I have to check out microfiber dressing gowns!

But butchers hooks are your friends for not getting clothes and towels on wet floors.

Pack a couple in your washbag, hang them over the top of the shower door, put your stuff in a plastic carrier bag and hang. Or hook clothes directly onto the hook. There are never enough hooks in campsite showers.

You need the big S shaped ones, not tiny ones.

prettywhiteguitar Sun 29-Jan-17 18:40:43

Ooh what are these velvet lined leggings?? My main problem camping is being cold in my bed!

PaddedRoomForOnePlease Sun 29-Jan-17 22:30:59

m.primark.com/en-ie/product/black-velvet-lined-leggings,d35397112000949 I'm struggling with links as I'm using the mobile site but I think it's these one, they are awesome

PaddedRoomForOnePlease Sun 29-Jan-17 22:34:48

Blu I've added big S hooks to my shopping list, they sound multi-purpose which I like smile

Stopmithering Sun 29-Jan-17 22:59:35

I would second the hot water bottles, we have always slept well camping with them. Being warm in bed is essential for sleep and therefore enjoyment of your trip away!
Also, water carrier? Is that what your 2L bottles are for?
We take a proper water carrier as it can be a pain transporting water from the standpipes on site.
Pack of cards.
A good supply of plastic bags.

Blu Sun 29-Jan-17 23:08:26

We take a 5l mineral water flagon for about £1 from Tesco and keep refilling it. And maybe take an empty for spare.

A lot of cheap water carriers / holders make the water taste plasticky, which the mineral water ones don't.

GenghisCalm Sun 29-Jan-17 23:08:27

A slow cooker just chuck nice food in and let it cook all day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now