Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to Green Man festival in Brecon?

(14 Posts)
PookieK Mon 02-Jan-17 22:23:55

We bought a tent and all the gear last summer to try camping but didn't actually get round to it due to house renovation etc.
We really like the idea of going to this festival in August which is supposed to be super family friendly, it'll be me, husband and 10yr old daughter.
Keen to hear from anyone who has been, any top tips for us as both camping and festival virgins?!! (Last one I went to was Reading in the 90's and I remember very little of it 😉.
Many thanks

prettywhiteguitar Sat 28-Jan-17 14:10:35

We went and absolutely loved it ! It did rain though so there was a lots of red mud around.

Very family friendly and wasn't full of louts, I would suggest either renting or buying a trolley to cart your gear over as it can be a trek to the camp site from the car park but that was the only logistical problem.

I would go again once ours are old enough as we loved it so much !

TellMeHowToLiveMyLife Sat 28-Jan-17 14:14:22

Really family friendly - we went a couple of years ago when I was heavily pregnant and with then 2 yo ds. It was fab. So much for little ones and didn't see any drunken lairy types.

EsmesBees Sat 28-Jan-17 14:15:40

We went a few years ago whilst I was pregnant. It is a nice small friendly festival. Great food and cider. Lots of loos. But it is a proper music festival so lots of emphasis on the bands rather than the additional activities, so we thought there was less going on than other festivals we've been to. My friend goes every year and says it always rains, but it was not too bad the year we went. The campsite had a few cafes and a stage really near by. Just portaloos though (some festivals have sinks).

cinnamongirl1976 Sun 29-Jan-17 22:13:45

But it is a proper music festival so lots of emphasis on the bands rather than the additional activities, so we thought there was less going on than other festivals we've been to.

I am not sure I agree with this...we have been going for years and years, many times before DC and now three times with our daughter (4 now). There is LOADS to do outside the music. There is a whole field dedicated to kids and it opens at 9am, which is really early in 'festival time'. Last year they had a big tent with craft activities, free glitter tattoos and face painting, circus skills, storytelling, a build-it-yourself playground (amazing...they gave the kids bits of wood and hammers and let them get on with it, with kids building hammocks in the trees, swings and all sorts), a campfire for toasting marshmallows, bread making, a children's parade that went all through the festival site...a small fairground ride...a sort of giant marble run but with plastic balls (like at a soft play) instead of marbles....a maze...activities making things from recycling materials...and loads more that we didn't even get to see.

Outside the children's area they also had a science garden (including interesting stuff for kids to look at and a guy who was singing children's songs), a ferris wheel + helter skelter (you had to pay for these, though - everything in the kids area was free), art exhibits, an area for teenagers (not sure what was in it but I heard it was good), a health and wellbeing area with massage, spas etc, comedy, literature...loads and LOADS.

I definitely wouldn't describe it as a festival with a focus on music only. There is a lot to do and it is so family friendly. It can sometimes be quite wet and the weather is a bit unpredictable...last year we had every type of weather imaginable, although it never got particularly cold. We are going again this year...DD loves it and in fact was talking about it yesterday.

cinnamongirl1976 Sun 29-Jan-17 22:18:48

PS: just noticed you asked for tips. Well...

I agree a trolley is a very good idea for lugging your stuff about - you can hire them there or get them quite cheaply from garden centres (I think the ones you hire are pretty robust, though).

Also, you can turn it into a cheapish holiday by getting a Settlers Pass if you want to stay the whole week. The nice thing about this is you can usually still buy these on the gate and they're not too expensive, £40 per person I think.

Family camping is nice, usually very quiet at night. We tend to camp near the first set of showers you see, where the ground is quite flat.

Food is great but (like most festivals these days) not always that cheap. We always take a stove and use it for breakfast (we get those porridge pots you just add water to). There's always fresh milk on site if you prefer cereal. There's a shop that sells things like bread and bacon as well.

Oh, and if you like fish and curry then you absolutely have to try the Goan Seafood stall - my favourite festival food place ever.

PookieK Mon 30-Jan-17 08:15:06

All great to hear, many thanks, am booking this weekend and crossing fingers for good weather!

Shadowboy Mon 30-Jan-17 08:19:24

We went in 2009 and it was good although being in Wales really wet! We saw quite a few kids. In all honesty I'm not sure I'd want to bring mine but it seemed to have a fair few families.

LucyLocketLostIt Mon 30-Jan-17 08:27:03

I've been a couple of times but never with kids. It's a lovely festival. Very friendly, peaceful atmosphere.

I can highly recommend booking a hot tub!

EsmesBees Mon 30-Jan-17 08:27:24

I thought of a tip for you last night! It's the only festival I've been to where people bought camping chairs into the site and sat round watching the bands on them. It was very civilised!

Also, if you are doing the settlers pass (which we did, great value) go to the Big Pit.

This is great to read. I have not been to a festival for years but I'm desperate to go this year as my two favourite singers are playing. I'm unsure about taking my 5yo though

exexpat Mon 30-Jan-17 08:45:27

I've been several times, with older children/teenagers, and would definitely recommend it - very laid-back, relatively small site, lots to do as well as the music, very family-friendly. Sitting on the slope facing the main stage as the sun sets with a pint of cider in your hand must be one of the best ways to spend a summer weekend.

Obviously it is much nicer the years when it doesn't rain, but there's not much you can do about that at a British festival...

My top tip would be to arrive as early as you can (Thursday lunchtime, or get a settler's pass from the start of the week) to grab a good space for your tent. The later you arrive, the harder it is to find a decent space, at least in my experience, though I have always been in general rather than family camping, which may make a difference.

Also, earplugs - take a pack of the little foam earplugs you can buy in Boots/poundland. You will be very grateful for them whether you end up camping near very small children or late-night party animals... And head-torches are very useful for picking your way through a sea of guy-ropes when you are going back to your tent in the dark.

PookieK Tue 31-Jan-17 13:21:54

LucyLocketLostIt - HOT TUB???? This festival suddenly starts looking a little more attractive! grin
I

LucyLocketLostIt Thu 02-Feb-17 19:17:48

Here you go: https://www.bathingunderthesky.com/festivals/green-man-festival-2017

It was definitely a festival highlight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now