Talk

Advanced search

Which family festival is best for a 5 year old?

(21 Posts)
TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Fri 23-Dec-16 18:28:08

We've been to Elderflower Fields before (which I loved but DH wasn't that impressed by) and Just So festival which was great. DH wants to go to Deer Shed next summer because Divine Comedy are headlining. Is it a good one for a 5yo or is it aimed at slightly older children? Which festivals have you found were best for a 5yo?

Branleuse Fri 23-Dec-16 18:30:11

there were tonnes of kids at womad this year, all looking to be having a good time. Its the first festival ive been to that I thought id possibly take my kids to

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 23-Dec-16 18:34:05

The only one we've been too as it's just down the road is Camp Besitival DS first went when he was 5 weeks, he is now 8 and still loves it, DD is 10, they have outgrown Mr Tumble and a lot of the main stage stuff but still plenty to do

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Fri 23-Dec-16 18:36:20

Has anyone been to Starry Skies? What's it like?

nobodysbabynow Fri 23-Dec-16 18:36:42

Womad is brilliant for kids

PuraVida Fri 23-Dec-16 18:52:07

Beautiful days is very good for children (and adults). Just the right size, own kids field with crafts / circus skills etc. we love it

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Fri 23-Dec-16 18:53:38

Is Womad a day thing or a weekend camping thing?

nobodysbabynow Fri 23-Dec-16 22:07:45

There are day tickets for Womad, or you can camp for the weekend Thefuture

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Sat 24-Dec-16 00:18:22

We took our 5yr old to the Priddy Folk Festival which she absolutely loved. I wasn't sure what to expect, being a Veteran of Glastonbury, Reading and the like in my younger days.

Priddy was awesome. Much smaller and less crowded but with some brilliant bands and a kids tent with loads of activities (DD did songwriting and choir singing. She wanted to do the kids ceilidh too but we lost track of time and missed it.)

We're definitely going again. Best festival I've ever been to.

turquoisetoad Sat 24-Dec-16 06:48:20

Yes, I'd recommend Womad too. We have 4DC and first took them when they were aged 2, 5, 5 and 7 and then again seven years later and they all loved it both times. There's loads for them to do and it has a big dedicated kids area for arts/crafts/storytelling etc and a magical parade on the last day. An eclectic mix of music. I've been to quite a few festivals and Womad is very child friendly and not as overwhelming as some of the bigger ones.

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Mon 09-Jan-17 18:16:43

Thanks for all the responses. Has anyone been to Deer Shed and could tell me what it's like?

Lemond1fficult Mon 09-Jan-17 19:41:45

Green man is amazing for kids - there's an entire kid's field and a big children's parade on the Sunday. If you're up for camping longer, you can stay onsite from the Monday, and there's entertainment then too.

braceybracegirl Mon 09-Jan-17 19:42:24

Camp bestival. Our 5 year has been every year of his life. smile

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Mon 09-Jan-17 20:21:22

How big is Camp Bestival @braceybracegirl? Does it feel very crowded?

Hotbot Mon 09-Jan-17 21:31:24

We really enjoyed deershed . Good for a 5 yr old, very chilled but with plenty to do, and really is just 1big field

braceybracegirl Mon 09-Jan-17 21:42:33

Yep busy big and pricey! Good line up this year though.

I've heard really good things about Camp Bestival.

We enjoyed Geronimo Festival in Tatton Park last year. Going again this year smile

HeCantBeSerious Mon 09-Jan-17 22:52:28

We've done Starry Skies. It's fabulous.

Brighteyes27 Wed 18-Jan-17 16:42:20

Not into festivals but friend of a friend has been to Deershed a few times she has a 5 year old and an 11 year old but key is to go with several families with similar age kids. They love it.

Another friend of a friend took hers to Glastonbury once and once only son really ill and it was a nightmare. Her and her DH go on their own now reliving their youths child free.

DustyOwl Sat 21-Jan-17 23:29:59

It will be our 4th year at Glastonbury with our boys this year. Yes it's huge but each field feels like it's own festival.

Went to Bestival on IoW, not great. Camp bestival was goo but expensive. Looking forward to trying Womad/Beautiful Days/Starry skies next!x

Squeezed Sat 21-Jan-17 23:49:48

Camp Bestival is fantastic. Lots to do for different ages and interests. DH and I love the food there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now