Talk

Advanced search

Leaving bikes at campsite

(12 Posts)
LondonSuperTrooper Thu 18-Aug-16 15:46:28

We are thinking of taking our bikes with us when we go camping next week. What do you with the bikes when you are out on a day trip? How do you secure it?

Thanks.

Blu Thu 18-Aug-16 18:34:57

With your usual locks to bike racks or a fence by Reception?

In the tent, all locked to each other?

JemimaMuddledUp Thu 18-Aug-16 18:37:08

We have a trailer and tend to lock the bikes to that, next to the tent.

If we didn't have a trailer then locking them all together and to a fence would work.

LondonSuperTrooper Thu 18-Aug-16 20:14:33

Thanks for your replies. I think I need to check that my lock can secure all 3 bikes.

NineLivesKitten Sat 20-Aug-16 09:49:57

And check what your insurance covers. Our bikes have to be left locked to the car or a permanent structure. We bought a great bike cover from halfords to cover them.

PopGoesTheWeaz Sat 20-Aug-16 10:12:43

I have also seen people just leave them leaning against a tree. This is at smaller more remote sites, to be fair.

We've never had enough room to bring the bikes sad

LondonSuperTrooper Sun 21-Aug-16 12:15:54

Thanks, our bikes aren't insured. Maybe they ought to?

Pop, we haven't got space either, we are hoping to take a bike rack but it all depends on whether it doesn't clash with the roof box!

McBassyPants Sun 21-Aug-16 12:25:05

Definitely get em insured! We lock ours to a fence

StarBurger Sun 21-Aug-16 12:34:48

I use a bbq lock to lock our bikes together. They look like a bike lock but are much longer smile

Stillwaitingforthesummer2come Mon 29-Aug-16 16:20:29

Make sure the lock goes through both wheels as well as the frame- if needed use 2 locks.

CatherineDeB Tue 30-Aug-16 07:02:08

kryptonitelocks are fantastic. We use two of their cables and one of the big U locks to lock our three bikes together. Yes to through both wheels and through the frames. When we take our bikes we are cycle camping so have to lock them to something on site.

As said upthread if you do insure them check what you need to do for it to be valid. Most household policies will cover them.

Some campsites have problems with bike theft. Clumber Park for instance, the Caravan Club site installed a metal container after it had so many stolen a couple of years ago. We use the NT site at Clumber Park and they did nothing at the height of the problem, didn't even tell campers that they had a persistent problem.

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 30-Aug-16 22:31:12

just leave them wherever the kids drop them tbh. But then the campsite we go to are very safe!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now