Talk

Advanced search

Charcoal Camping BBQ

(19 Posts)
LondonSuperTrooper Thu 18-Aug-16 15:43:38

Can anyone recommend a folding bbq please? The majority that I've seen are wood burning & not coal. As space is of a premium, I would like a folding bbq. (I've been told to avoid the notebook style bbq.)

Thanks.

Blu Thu 18-Aug-16 19:49:29

I had one very like this for a few years, and liked it a lot. It did rust, and then fall apart after about 2 or 3 years, though.

Now I use a portable not-folding BBQ, the Weber GoAnywhere which I love. Really high quality, it will not rust or warp. It is only folding in the sense that the legs fold over the top, keeping the whole thing together. I justify its extra bulk by transporting the charcoal bag inside it.

Yes- 'Notebook' ones look v flimsy and IMO have a design fault in that the grilling area is much bigger than the charcoal area, so I think it would be very inefficient to cook on. And I bet they warp and don't fold up flat for long.

LondonSuperTrooper Thu 18-Aug-16 20:11:45

Thanks for the info Blu. I did see the Weber bbq before but it's way over my budget sad

anotherdayanothersquabble Thu 18-Aug-16 20:48:07

We have a Notebook one and love it!! Probably won't last for long but have BBQ'd on it every day for three weeks. I also pop it into my back pack and bring it on hikes.

I actually find it super efficient to cook on. It is efficient on fuel, lights quickly and food cooks well. It also copes well with wood as a campfire.

Blu Thu 18-Aug-16 20:55:46

Good to hear that Notebook ones are good, anotherday!

The GoAnywhere was beyond my budget too, London, but I am helpless in the face of camping kit that I really like. They were unavailable for years in the UK, and I stalked them for ages after my collapsible BBQ collapsed. I love it because like all Webers you can use it with the lid on too. We use it at home. I hope it will last forever and earn it's cost!

BurnTheBlackSuit Thu 18-Aug-16 20:57:40

We have this:

www.gardenshops.co.uk/product-Flame-Master-Travel-Chef-Portable-Charcoal-Barbecue.html

It is brilliant. So good that we have been using it as our home BBQ too smile

LondonSuperTrooper Sat 20-Aug-16 17:46:38

Thanks for your replies everyone. I fear that I left it too late to buy online as we are camping next weekend.

anotherdayanothersquabble Sat 20-Aug-16 21:09:47

Amazon, delivery by Monday....

Sunnyshine Sat 20-Aug-16 21:11:38

Robert dyas have folding ones like the one shown in the picture ! I have the same one bought from there

LondonSuperTrooper Sun 21-Aug-16 07:22:07

Thank you, I'll have a look at Robert Dyas. There's a branch near my office smile

I've seen a bbq at Aldi but the legs are fixed sad

Blu Sun 21-Aug-16 07:31:16

I quite like the look of the pale green one that Waitrose have on sale atm. It closes up like a bin.

LlamaDrama Sun 21-Aug-16 07:34:02

We have one of those blu - haven't used it yet as its too beautiful!

LondonSuperTrooper Sun 21-Aug-16 12:11:15

Do you have a link to the Waitrose one please?

Blu Sun 21-Aug-16 13:14:10

Am hopeless at links on phone: Google Waitrose retro barbecue. It has legs that fold under and is in the sale at £20. It is like a pale green bread bin.

BurnTheBlackSuit Sun 21-Aug-16 13:19:20

We got our one mentioned above for £20 from Robert Dyas, not sure they sell them anymore though. We bought it last year.

LondonSuperTrooper Sun 21-Aug-16 13:42:29

Thanks Blu. I saw that earlier when googling, looks cute but looks bulky.

Thanks Burn, I'm going to pop into Robert Dyas in Tuesday.

Blu Sun 21-Aug-16 15:03:10

It isn't big, but I have just looked at one in Waitrose and it seems the legs have to be screwed on, which makes it far less practical for packing. Tho' I would probably leave of the legs and put it on bricks.
On the whole though it seems a triumph of looks over practicality.

LondonSuperTrooper Wed 24-Aug-16 23:36:43

Thanks Blu for looking into this for me.

I still haven't managed to pop into Robert Dyas. At this rate we'll probably end up using the disposable ones!

CatherineDeB Thu 25-Aug-16 06:49:56

I have got the same one as Blu - it is now about 15 years old.

this is very similar for £24.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now