Talk

Advanced search

Can I rent a tent to see if I like camping?

(15 Posts)
ineedacupoftea2016 Fri 05-Aug-16 10:23:53

I quite fancy giving camping a go next year. We've just moved to Devon and everyone does it and there's so many nice places to go on sunny weekends but I don't want to buy stuff if I end up hating it!

Is there places where you can go and rent a pitched up tent and equipment and see how you like it? Not glamping tents, just normal ones. I know eurocamp in France does but in the uk? Any ideas?

ApocalypseSlough Fri 05-Aug-16 13:08:09

Ask to borrow one? Most campers are evangelical and very aware of how expensive it is! I've lent mine out several times and received it back with a 'never again!
I've also seen several kits from Halfords etc. with tent, four Airbeds four sleeping bags and a lamp- the bare essentials for under £100!

bombayflambe Fri 05-Aug-16 13:11:21

Sleeping in a pre-pitched tent won't tell you if you like it. The bit that gets most people down is the grind of pitching and striking.
Borrow if you can.

Clankboing Fri 05-Aug-16 13:13:22

Trevornick in Cornwall have eurotents but you have to book early.

ineedacupoftea2016 Fri 05-Aug-16 14:49:33

I'm more worried about coping with the tolleting / showering, being cold / comfortable at night, lack of home comforts etc which is why I just fancied trying it out for a night or two to see what we think before even considering the realities of pitching tents! I don't know anyone well enough to borrow tents really which is a shame.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.

Wolfiefan Fri 05-Aug-16 14:58:30

Toilet is fine if your kids won't wake you up at 3am demanding to go. Have coats ready and a tub of quick to put on (wellies, crocs, flip flops) shoes by the entrance.
Don't be cold. Get decent sleeping bags. Campbed or SIM. Blanket under and over sleeping bag. Get changed for bed early and put joggers and fleece on top. You don't want to be stripping off late at night when it's cold. And warm socks!
As for creature comforts we take electric hook up. And choose site carefully. One place last year had under floor heating in the showers !!!

PrincessHairyMclary Fri 05-Aug-16 15:01:34

The thing is camping can be as luxurious or back to basics as you like.

I've wild camped in Winter in a tiny cramped tent, slept on a roll mat in a good sleeping bag and woken up stiff, cold and uncomfortable. Which Id only do of I had too.

When I camp with dD I take a double folding camp bed, duvet if I can, waking up warm and comfy in a spacious 5 man tent. It's awesome and I could spend all week doing it.

It really depends on what experience you want and it's very individual to you so you would slowly buy the equipment that makes it the experience you want.

ineedacupoftea2016 Fri 05-Aug-16 16:25:35

I fancy a nice big tent with creature comforts and a nice site with plenty to do.

I have had a lot of pelvic surgery and a weak bladder which is what I'm more worried about I think!!

Wolfiefan Fri 05-Aug-16 16:36:18

Some sites let you choose your pitch or book a certain one. Pitches near toilets might be noisier. You could take a portaloo or bucket with a lid!

Whataboutwhathuh Fri 05-Aug-16 16:38:47

We stayed at nodes point on the Isle of Wight and they had pre-pitched and safari tents to rent.

For night time toileting an ice cream tub with a lid and room to squat is one solution!

inaclearingstandsaboxer Fri 05-Aug-16 16:53:55

We have a four man tent for just DH and I. Means we can have a big double lilo and a good quality sleeping bag ( plus blankets if needed).

Re toilet in the night. DH has prostate issues so we have a small porta loo in the living area for night times. It gets emptied and cleaned every morning and then lives in a corner of the tent.

We have nice comfy seats and electric hookup so we have ways of charging/ watching stuff on the laptop if the weather is shite.

We love camping - and at fifty plus we like our creature comforts!

ElizaBB Fri 05-Aug-16 19:42:39

I agree, it's the setting up and putting away that is a pain some don't like, and ramming everything possible into the car. You could get a kampa khazi loo, about £20. Line with a bag and put some cat litter in it, which will soak up any liquid. Excellent for emergencies or when it's a long trek to the loo in the night when it's chucking it down ! Or DH has had a pint too many. No number 2s allowed, and don't forget to empty it ! And have a look here https://www.lovecamping.co.uk/campsites/south-west/filter_yurtstipis

Blu Fri 05-Aug-16 19:55:21

A demanding bladder calls for a bucket in the tent, or a 'wild camping' style site with loads of bushes , tents far apart, and no lights.

Do you fancy a sort of holiday park with all your entertainments and activities on site or wild nature, a campfire and a base from which to explore?

I bet one of the Halfords packages, or a second hand bundle from eBay would be as cheap as hiring.

Are any of your kids scouts or guides? They might hire tents out.

harderandharder2breathe Mon 08-Aug-16 21:02:55

I'm lucky, I got into camping through being a guide leader so I have always been able to borrow tents from the unit. Very handy as we have a decent range and only a couple get used once a year. Never known parents to ask but if we knew them and they were generally trustworthy I think we might lend them a tent.

lilacclery Sun 21-Aug-16 13:35:31

Recently borrowed a tent off a friend with similar worries and thoroughly enjoyed it. I brought potty for kids & used it myself as the wine got a bit much for my bladder. The cat litter trick will be used next time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now