What food shall we take with us?

(10 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Sun 31-Jul-16 20:24:00

non electric pitch with campfire/BBq allowed .

Im rubbish at this bit.

What would be good for once we have arrived and set up and the meal for that evening?

we may or may not have a cold box to run off car battery.

Idefix Sun 31-Jul-16 20:40:29

We revert to lots of nursery food - scrambled eggs, eggy bread, baked beans, sausages
Pasta and pesto is also good too.
Often would bring something ready made to be reheated on gas stove - chilli, spag bog etc.
Pudding - marshmallows, homemade s'mores using rich tea biscuits. Fruit in melted chocolate.

Enjoy your trip

Wolfiefan Sun 31-Jul-16 20:42:39

We always take a frozen spag Bol or meatballs with us to defrost on way (whilst keeping milk chilled.)
Sausages and smash with hoops goes down well. Yuck!
Kebabs
Quesadillas.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 31-Jul-16 20:44:20

i like the frozen spag bol idea but would never be that organised.

Wolfiefan Sun 31-Jul-16 20:45:24

Ah see I'm a lazy cow. I batch cook and then freeze a tonne to avoid having to cook every bloody night!!

Allshallbewell Sun 31-Jul-16 21:00:07

For the first night, I always take something I've already made and can eat cold- usually pasta based. Then have marshmallows for on the campfire that night to get into the spirit of things. Other food we take:
Sausages (frozen- they defrost in time for the second nights meal)
Tins/jars of baked beans, chickpeas, sweetcorn, olives, sun dried tomatoes, pesto
Veg to be eaten raw - peppers, carrots, cucumber, peas in the pod, mange tout, baby tomatoes
Pasta, couscous, rolls, bread
Lots of fruit
Crisps
Biscuits (not chocolate based as they melt in the tent)
Have fun- I love camping 😀

Passthecake30 Sun 31-Jul-16 21:03:10

Sausages/burgers in buns?

RumAppleGinger Sun 31-Jul-16 21:04:53

First night is always reheating something already made. Usually chilli. Can then also do a pot of rice or throw it over tortilla chips for nachos.

Second night is always BBQ - burgers, skewers, corn on the cob.

LolBeansandSalad Sun 31-Jul-16 21:07:28

Im a good cook, and I love cooking. At home.

When camping, it comes out of a tin or a packet. I might stretch to a Tupperware box of chilli and a few pre-cooked baked potatoes wrapped in foil for the first night but that's it. Tins, sarnies and fry ups all the way after that. It's now half the fun of it!

Blu Sun 31-Jul-16 21:41:30

Will you be able to cook in your fire? Lots of sites that allow fires will hire you a campfire grill. Or someone in your group might have a tripod?

For BBQ or fire I like to marinate chicken or pork steaks (take them in a ziplock or Tupperware in their non liquidy marinade) and have them in a wrap with salad and a suitable sauce, like dollops of Tzadziki or dip or something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now