Advanced search


(7 Posts)
summerchocolate Wed 13-Jul-16 19:57:53

Any advice/recommendations/opinions on the need for insurance for camping stuff when camping as not covered under our house insurance and if so the best policies. Many thanks

Yellowiceytek Wed 13-Jul-16 20:30:33

I've insured my tent and some camping equipment with Shield insurance.
For a £650 tent £275 awning, and an extra £300 to cover other items worth a mention it's £30 something a year.

summerchocolate Wed 13-Jul-16 21:33:10

How does it work when you are away camping if stuff was taken as insurance normally requires things to be locked up? Does that cover in the garage at home too separate to house insurance?

Yellowiceytek Thu 14-Jul-16 20:07:43

Have a read.

Yellowiceytek Thu 14-Jul-16 20:19:59

Here's what the policy says
As for garage is that not covered on your home insurance?

CatherineDeB Fri 15-Jul-16 09:59:05

I used to insure through the Camping and Caravanning Club. Camping specific insurance will often provide cover for replacement accommodation when you are away in the event that your tent is damaged/not habitable which could be a consideration if you are doing a long summer trip abroad.

I don't bother now, our gear is quite expensive but I was paying more for trailer plus two big value tents than I am on my home insurance (£550 for £8500 of cover from memory). I tend to insure it for two or three years after a big spend and then decide it isn't worth it.

I think, my house policy covers my tent when we are using it these days, just not the alternative accommodation cover but as we do shorter trips these days I am not worried about it.

summerchocolate Fri 15-Jul-16 21:49:22

Thanks for this. Our garage insurance is woefully inadequate on our house insurance as the company we are with has an upper limit on garage contents so we need to change insurer for that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now