Talk

Advanced search

Cheaper alternative to Aussie gel packs for icey tek please!

(8 Posts)
GnarlyOldGoatDude Wed 13-Jul-16 08:38:06

I seem to have acquired an icey tek grin

Secondhand so no instructions, am hoping I can get off website, but any advice on how to pack and prechill would be great.

Main question though- don't really want to shell out £25 on the Aussie gel ice packs, are they really worth it, or is there a good cheaper alternative?

Thank you!

Fruityflapjack Wed 13-Jul-16 18:02:01

The gell packs are amazing! They are worth it I think. They stayed cold for over 24 hours in very hot tent last summer.

Re pre chilling and packing:
We have anout 6 water filled frozen bottles (old milk cartons and pop bottles) 24 hours before trip we pop 3 of the frozen bottles in, change after 12 hours. Pack icey tek with two gell packs and food. Once at site pop one pack in freezer and alternate the two every 24 hours.

Another good tip is to freeze some
Food. We always go away on a budget and I cook all the meals in advance when I batch cook. So for example I will have a frozen curry and spag Bol. The extra cold helps keep the icey tek cool. We've gone away on a Friday and I've pulled something out on Sunday and it's still frozen!

GnarlyOldGoatDude Wed 13-Jul-16 18:49:13

Brilliant thank you - but you're not helping my budget!! I suspect I may end up ordering them grin

Do they go at the bottom, or on top?

autumnboys Wed 13-Jul-16 21:53:46

We put ours at the bottom and bubble wrap over the top.

Instructions from my leaflet.

autumnboys Wed 13-Jul-16 21:54:26

Oops - and the other side!

GnarlyOldGoatDude Wed 13-Jul-16 23:33:18

autumnboys that's brilliant, thanks so much flowers

KeepOnPlodding Wed 13-Jul-16 23:43:13

Just to add, we pre-cool our Icey-Tek before we go away and use normal ice packs.

They are pretty much still frozen after a weekend. You just need to try to open it as little as possible and try to keep it full. Frozen wine boxes work well, frozen milk is good and also a few large bottles of frozen water all keep the temperature down and can be used as they defrost.

GnarlyOldGoatDude Thu 14-Jul-16 09:14:19

Lovely thank you- currently have ice packs in the coolboxuk online basket and dithering whether to checkout or not grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now