Can I have your thoughts and opinions O wise camping compadres...

(11 Posts)
Ineedmorelemonpledge Sat 09-Jul-16 10:40:53

So..air beam tents. I've been hankering for a while.

I'm a single mother so DS and I would Camp together, (He's 11 so can help) but want a 4 or 5 man so we can invite friends for a night and my DP and his DD if they want.

I have narrowed my choices to three..I like headroom and room to cook, eat, relax inside so the living space is pretty important. I have a lot of equipment as we had an 8 man Vango dome tent which went with ExH.

I'm not too keen on the two bedrooms together with a divider but I think with the Airbeam this seems par for the course.

So my choices...

http://www.campingworld.co.uk/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=16096

It's only 4 man but the space in this looks awesome, I love the light and open feel. But I worry about heat and privacy. The deal looks great but I don't know the brand at all.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/air-seconds-family-63-xl-inflatable-tent-6-man-id8300026.htmll__

Lots of flexibility, love the extra bedroom option, but I worry a bit about the quality for the amazing price. Again I only know Vango and Outwell. Also a bit dark inside?

But the price....smile

Finally...
_
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01CTWLEXI/ref=mpp_saa_13?qid=1464798403&sr=8-3&pi=SX2000_QL40&keywords=vango+capri+500&dpPl=1&dpID=41B-d20os4L&ref=plSrch

Love the extra front canopy angled so the tent doesn't fill with rain when you open it, and a place for shoes, equipment etc outside but with some protection. I love Vango but the price is pretty steep for a basic tent. When I add in extras - groundsheet and carpet etc then it gets prohibitive.

Any thoughts? It's taken me a while to narrow it down. I've looked at every air beam tent.

I am for some reason, a nightmare with buying camping gear. Please critique for me.

Ineedmorelemonpledge Sun 10-Jul-16 09:33:19

Bump!

SummerSazz Sun 10-Jul-16 09:39:24

We have a Vango airbeam and have done for 4 years - its great, albeit we ended up using our old Vango internal room tent as the new one was too small for our purposes.

We've had Quechua tents before (pop up not airbeam) and they have been well made

That is just my experience - i'll take another look at your options smile

SummerSazz Sun 10-Jul-16 09:43:27

I think of those I'd go for the Quechua for flexibility (and price). Can you get to a Decathlon store to have a look? There aren't many in the UK but I always prefer to see a tent

zgaze Sun 10-Jul-16 09:50:23

I haven't had an air beam tent so can't really comment on specifics but can reassure you that Decathlon are great quality. I used to live very close to a store and so I've had lots of their own brand Quecha stuff and it's all really good. Much cheaper than comparable UK brands as well. I wouldn't have any concerns about buying a tent from them.

averythinline Sun 10-Jul-16 09:50:59

Kampa are a good brand very sturdy tents - a friend had one (not an air though) was v impressed with it - you can add a canopy as well

Decathlon are great lighter weight...but its not a sewn in groundsheet so not for me!

Vango does look good- not sure i believe the black out promises - but think thats the one I'd go for as like the bit at the front... = go outdoors used to do a price match thing

Ineedmorelemonpledge Sun 10-Jul-16 11:18:00

Thanks for the replies...

Yes the Quechua Price is fantastic, isn't it. It's a 40km drive to Decathlon in France..but it might definitely be worth seeing it. It's the front bedroom that's really making me want this one.

The Vango one is looking my fave for exactly those quality reasons...just missed out on an ex demo one on eBay for £380 gah!

But then the space and shape of the Kampa...

Aargh!!! I'm such a procrastinator.

whenwillsummercome Tue 12-Jul-16 16:04:30

can you find a vango centara? we got our 600 for £400 and it's great - has the rooms at either end, which works well for us.

Ineedmorelemonpledge Tue 12-Jul-16 21:41:12

I did look at that one when, but I could only find it for £600 😁

whenwillsummercome Wed 13-Jul-16 22:52:56

keep looking... ours just suddenly appeared at that price in April and we pounced, as it seemed like a good deal.

gruber Wed 13-Jul-16 23:03:11

Haven't seen Quechua one up. Have seen a fair few Kampa Haylings both 400 and 600. They look good! Enough space and a front porch bit similar to the Vango one, sheltered for shoes etc. It was on our list but got a non air one in the end (a Vango). They are actually pretty spacious. The Vango ones are likewise spacious and seem a tiny bit better quality than Kampa....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now