Camping kit for toddlers and camping with toddlers in general

(18 Posts)
PatronIcingBardStarred Wed 22-Jun-16 21:40:28

DH and I haven't camped since DS was born but now he's 2 we're thinking of getting back into it.

I'm looking for advice about kit though, I was looking at a self inflating type sleeping mat and a vango nitestar sleeping bag. We co sleep at home and I've no idea how he'll take to a sleeping bag. We'll be camping in Ireland, and possibly Scotland and France if a couple of trial runs at home go well, probably no later than October but I don't think the bed in a pack type sleeping bags would be warm enough.

I'm hoping it won't be madly stressful, he loves being out and about so will hopefully be exhausted each night.

Does anyone have any advice? don't say don't do it

PotteringAlong Wed 22-Jun-16 21:42:22

A waterproof all in one suit you can pull on over pj's.
Easy access breakfast - those individual pain au chocolat are good for quick access to food in the morning.
More socks that you thought were necessary.
We zip two sleeping bags together and just carry on co sleeping.

PatronIcingBardStarred Wed 22-Jun-16 21:50:18

Ah, good ideas, thank you!

I didn't think of zipping our bags together, that would definitely worth a try though DS always ends up sideways so it might be cramped.

Is a trial run in the garden just a sure way of chickening out and going back into bed do you reckon? grin

lamporbulb Wed 22-Jun-16 22:39:21

We used to be in our own bags but share blankets with the small people. DDs would be able to cuddle up and would sometimes try and climb in my sleeping bag but it worked for us.

DDs used to pop in their sleeping bags and fall asleep on our laps whilst we drank too much wine. They could then be put down when fast asleep and we would join them later.

A trial run in the garden isn't really a good test. All the hard work of putting the tent up and down and none of the good "we're on holiday away from it all and get a bit drunk and not worry about the laundry" nice feelings.

ICJump Thu 23-Jun-16 00:20:45

We co sleep at home.
For camping we put 3 self inflatting mats inside a double doona cover. This means they are a very tight fit and it's like sleeping on a slightly over sized double bed.
All of us slept in a sleeping bag each with a doona over the top.

Levithecat Thu 23-Jun-16 22:49:16

Second easy breakfast - we give DS those individual brioche.
He has a kampa inflatable bed which is great as it has deep sides so hard to roll out of. We take his own duvet etc for familiarity. He does often end up with us for some Of the night - we have a double mattress and duvet, so quite easy to slot him in! I would say lots of blankets for layering. agree lots of socks and also a hat.

We find DS struggles with camping food like BBQ stuff so now make sure we have 'routine' food that he'd have at home.

Bubbles (but not near the tent as apparently damages the waterproofing)

Their own chair

Making the sleeping space as dark as possible (if you have one like mine)

Be relaxed about bedtime

PatronIcingBardStarred Fri 24-Jun-16 16:01:24

Thanks! Those are great tips! I think we'll just bit the bullet and go somewhere localish and see how we get on smile

teenmumandsowhat Sat 25-Jun-16 16:43:10

I go camping with my toddlers, and my best tip is, if you are worried about escaping toddlers, use a carabeaner clip to clip the Zips together in the compartment your toddler(s) are sleeping as then they won't be able to get out!

WaccaWacca Mon 27-Jun-16 20:27:10

Sticker books. In case it rains and when you're trying to keep them in one place whilst pitching/striking.

I take a few crafty bits in a bag (stick on eyes, markers, glitter glue). Go stone hunting and you can occupy them for a while making stone families or stick men!

Camping rules:

Food. Lots of it. Keep them fuelled, not necessarily with perfect nutrition.

Forget about bedtime. Wait til they're almost falling over with exhaustion and bundle them into bed.

Start drinking early winkwine

We camp with ours loads. We all love it.

attheendoftheday Wed 29-Jun-16 08:22:30

Just take your duvet rather than sleeping bags, it is loads warmer and more comfy and means you can cosleep.

helterskelter99 Wed 29-Jun-16 23:40:11

We take duvet too and have a single and double air beds norm me and small child in double OH on single, although for one blissful night small child insisted on cuddling up to daddy on the single so I had the double !!
Potty for tent side wees

Duplo
Football

Ilovelearning Thu 30-Jun-16 00:20:38

Our local camping shop had a washable fabric high chair in the other day, wish I'ld seen one of these when mine were little.

PatronIcingBardStarred Thu 30-Jun-16 22:31:06

Carabiner and crafty bits are genius!

I wonder if the summer duvet would be warm enough? The winter weight one would take up most of the boot but I'm not sure it's worth the risk. I've been completely traumatised by camping in the Lake District in summer and having to go out and buy a winter weight sleeping bag after the first night. I've never been so cold!

Duplo and football are good. Thankfully we're over the strapped in while eating stage!

Thanks all!

nearlyreadytopop Fri 01-Jul-16 13:51:28

A spotty otter all in one suit.
Some way of securing then whilst you are putting up the tent. Ours hated to stay in the car but would happily sit in a bike seat watching the proceedings.
An extra warm blanket for when they wriggle out of their sleeping bag and putting them back in would waken them up.

Waffles80 Mon 11-Jul-16 06:47:37

Vac bags for larger things like duvets. Our site has a Hoover for revaccing things back up.

Blu Tue 12-Jul-16 22:21:13

To prevent escapes, zip the zips to the top of the tent out of reach, if your tent does that.

And/ or attach a small bell to the zipper.

Pack wipes and hand sanitizer, and when you think you have packed more than enough, pack more. You won't want to traipse to the hot taps all day long.

Equimum Wed 13-Jul-16 21:37:12

Could I be very rude and hijack this thread with a few questions please? Sorry, I have just come on to ask a very similar question, so it seems silly start another.

We are going to a camping pod in Devon, in August, with an almost 1 year old and a three year old. Three year old has an inflatable air bed and child sleeping bag. DH has suggested we take the travel cot for the baby, but he never really sleeps in it. Even at home, he starts out wearing a baby sleep bag in his cot, then usually ends up on top of our duvet, in his sleeping bag. Would it make more sense for him just to do the same when we are away, and what would you suggest he wears/ is covered with? What sort of tog sleepsuit would you go for?

TIA

Imaginosity Wed 13-Jul-16 21:45:47

for whenever your child is potty training. I found this really useful for long journeys when the hold needed an emergency stop for the bathroom. Could just pull over at a quiet spot on the road. Would also be handy for night times in a tent. Easy to dispose to the mess without having to clean out a potty.
www.mothercare.ie/potette-plus-fold-away-travel-potty-and-trainer-blue.html

All in one sleep suits over pjs are great for nighttime if they are likely to kick off blankets or come out of a sleeping bag.

All in one rain suits are great too. DS was able to play out in the rain - even sit on wet muddy ground without me worrying about his clothes getting soaked or covered in mud.

Lots of people had boots which were handy is the grass is wet.

We used crocs for when the DCs were running in and out of the tent as it's easier than putting shoes on and off. They're also good for use in the showers.

A laptop or iPad with a movie to watch in the evening.

These flexible buckets are handy for carrying things to the bathroom as you can set it down anywhere and can easily get what you need from it
us.tubtrugs.com/collections/original

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now