Talk

Advanced search

Camping in France and taking a Cadac Safari chef

(8 Posts)
OrangeSunset Thu 09-Jun-16 14:06:40

We were going to take our camping gaz double burner for our first family trip to France, but a colleague has been raving about the Cadac Safari chef. I've got a couple of questions.....

What gas does it use? We've got calor butane for our current stove which I think will work but you can't buy in France? Obviously if we run out we'd need to get topped up so what gas can we use in france with that stove?

If you were going for 2 weeks with a family of four, would you just take the Cadac? What do I do if I just want to boil a kettle or use the coffee pot? Think I've got an old tripod stove I could dig out.....

Any tips gratefully received. We have got EHU so could always take the actual kettle.

Helenluvsrob Thu 09-Jun-16 14:07:55

Can't comment on specifics but an you take gas canisters on the tunnel/ferry?

TheCatWhat Thu 09-Jun-16 14:35:00

We've got a safari chef and although it's great, it's a pain if you want 2 pans on the go at the same time. We therefore take a single burner to use as well. No problems taking canisters on the ferry but we haven't had to refill in France.

To be honest if you are happy with your double burner, why not stick with that?

samlovesdilys Thu 09-Jun-16 18:22:13

We take our cadac Safari and a single burner for top up if needed... But v rarely actually need it, I have become an expert at one out meals!!! Gas canister last two weeks no problem but can easily get more at supermarket/campsite if needed...

WhereTheFuckIsMyCunt Fri 10-Jun-16 19:40:24

They can run on propane for sure but I was reading a post on a caravan forum the other day from someone who uses calorgaz for their Cadac so I guess both.

I'm about to buy a Cadac Safari chef, they look great.

WhereTheFuckIsMyCunt Fri 10-Jun-16 19:41:39

I mean campinggaz not calorgaz.

ChippyMinton Fri 10-Jun-16 19:43:42

I use the blue cylinder - camping gaz?

A second burner is useful for kettle/rice/pasta.

OrangeSunset Sat 11-Jun-16 12:48:55

Ok, thanks all. Ive checked the cylinder we have and it's green and red - propane - 5kg. No idea how full it is at the moment, will need to check we can refill it in France.

Have sold the double burner so that's on its way out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now