Talk

Advanced search

If you've ever been curious as to how a Quercha pop up tent would cope in strong wind here's your answer.

(17 Posts)
WhereTheFuckIsMyCunt Sun 05-Jun-16 18:17:58

Not well. The couple who owned this tent never even bothered moving in. To be honest I was amazed they attempted pitching it. They ended up sleeping in a summerhouse at the campsite.

In fairness I do own a Quercha base seconds and it has been ok in fairly windy conditions but last week's wind was just too much for this one.

Out of all the tents on the field I would say the Vangos and a Kampa stood up the best. 40mph winds with gusts in excess of 40mph. Non stop torrential rain.

TheDuchyOfGrandFenwick Sun 05-Jun-16 23:58:41

grin

CornishTea Mon 06-Jun-16 00:02:30

grin I love this!

P.S - Please change your username to;

WhereTheFuckIsMyQuercha

YellowDinosaur Mon 06-Jun-16 13:58:50

To be fair any tent without steel poles is going to be fucked in high winds, not just pop ups (crosses fingers as we've got the whole summer traveling round Europe with this very tent!)

bombayflambe Mon 06-Jun-16 14:03:20

Any flexible pole tent would have struggled last week.
I nearly lost a lovely tunnel Raven 8 some years back as it was trashed by a hurricane. Others on the campsite took pictures and were a bit 'you should have storm lashed it' etc,. I ended up sleeping in the Quechua 2 seconds with the kids and we were fine.
Woke up next morning and everyone else's tunnel tent had gone as well, so spent half the morning picking discarded poles out of the skips to repair my own!

WhereTheFuckIsMyCunt Mon 06-Jun-16 14:15:01

My brothers tent and indeed my awning have fibreglass poles not steel and were okay. It was a bit touch and go mind.

millimat Tue 07-Jun-16 22:41:07

We had gorgeous, non windy weather last week wink I'll go now

FrozenAteMyDaughter Wed 08-Jun-16 15:57:01

Yep, that looks like ours at Easter. We didn't stay either. Luckily it started to pour with rain as we packed up so went home wet too. Lovely weekend.

Great tent normally though.

ThornyBird Wed 08-Jun-16 15:59:12

I love my Quechua family pop up but I generally only camp in good weather. Last weekend was perfect down here and even dh agreed we should camp it up more this summer grin

I won't be showing him this thread wink

Pootles2010 Wed 08-Jun-16 16:04:06

Nope we have a vango with flexible poles, it did very well in high winds on a cliff last year!

Vangos are ace.

FrozenAteMyDaughter Thu 09-Jun-16 09:20:26

Pop up poles have to be very flexible though, much more so than those in a tunnel tent, say. So it isn't surprising. The day our tent went flat, our friend's pop up was in better condition simply because they had pitched with a bit of shelter behind them. It will always be worse in the middle of a field. In the end though, everyone left the site, steel pole tents and all. The advantage we had was it took us minites to get our tent packed away. The advantage they had was they could conceivably have stayed if they could have put up with the wind noise.

Naoko Thu 09-Jun-16 18:39:14

I was at an event involving camping through storm Katie over Easter. Briefly, seeing as I trudged my way across to the loos on the first morning, went NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. and took the next train home grin Anyway, during that particular disaster we observed that some but not all bells stayed up, most of the lighter modern tents didn't, and there's absolutely no substitute for shelter - our bell was fine, but it was in the woods. I'd not have fancied its chances out in the main open field. The ground was so soft any peg just slid straight out again, and I know a few people who have upgraded their tent pegs to 12in rebar steel, which is how the large marquees also present stayed up. That and a dedicated site crew going round repegging everything that wasn't sufficiently nailed down over and over again, anyway...

WhereTheFuckIsMyCunt Thu 09-Jun-16 19:11:38

Yes, I'm planning on upgrading some pegs for a few massive long ones in case of soft ground and strong wind.

BlueGazebo Fri 10-Jun-16 06:15:13

Oh how sad. I've got that tent and I love it. It will be coming out of hibernation in two weeks - hope we don't get wind!

FrozenAteMyDaughter Fri 10-Jun-16 09:26:05

Dont worry BlueGazebo. They stand up to a lot and, given ours was in the centre of a field being battered by Storm Katie for a few hours and has no signs of damage, their flexibility is second to none. You just cant sleep in them.in those sorts of winds because they bend too much. Frankly, the noise of the wind was so loud, you wouldnt have been sleeping in any sort of wind!

YellowDinosaur Sun 12-Jun-16 00:53:20

Delta pegs is what you need..

www.deltagroundanchors.co.uk/

travailtotravel Sun 12-Jun-16 21:02:09

We camped through two red weather warnings in Devon a couple of years back in our Outwell Bear Lake. We evacuated just one day early ... i think we were stark raving bonkers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now