Talk

Advanced search

Would you use a Cadac stove in a caravan awning?

(4 Posts)
WhereTheFuckIsMyCunt Sun 05-Jun-16 12:14:09

ITs a small gas bbq type stove.

I'm not really bothered about carbon monoxide poisoning. Awning is very cheap and therefore a terrible fit! Even with the doors shut its as breezy as anything but if I did use the stove I would use it with the main door fully open.

It's more of a fire risk im bothered about. I could put the stove well away from the sides and stay with it all the time while I'm using it.

Ive spent 20 years cooking on little trangia type stoves in various tents, in the main part, and managed to never set anything on fire.

But I guess I'm becoming more safety concious as I get older and now thinking maybe I shouldn't have done.

Plus I've just read an account of someone who was using a Cadac plumbed into his caravans external gas point and there was some fault either with the Cadac or with the gas point and there was a massive ball of flame which destroyed his awning and then his caravan. But that must be a million to one chance. And to be honest even if he hadn't been in his awning his stove was 2m away from a big Calor gas bottle so I don't think it would have been a good outcome no matter if he was in the awning or not.

millimat Sun 05-Jun-16 12:46:23

We don't, but have opened to the side awning completely to use it. Have you got an external gas point?
I'm very wary after witnessing a tent blow up and disintegrate in seconds when a stove was switched on inside the tent.

WhereTheFuckIsMyCunt Sun 05-Jun-16 13:54:11

I haven't got an external gas point but have a spare calor bottle. So I can take the bottle and stove to anywhere.

WhereTheFuckIsMyCunt Sun 05-Jun-16 13:55:10

My brother cooks in his tent in the porch bit. To me this is the same as doing it in the awning with the door/side open.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now