Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone been on a caravan towing course?

(11 Posts)
ChippyMinton Fri 13-May-16 19:50:37

I have the opportunity to use a caravan, but have never towed. Has anyone been on a Caravan Club course and can give me the lowdown, or can recommend another provider?

lavendersun Fri 13-May-16 19:55:44

If you don't need it for your licence then I wouldn't bother Chippy. Just go to a big empty car park, take a few cones/wellies/boots/buckets and drive through them.

Have a go at reversing through two of them - I presume you have someone to help you - if not ignore me.

I tow a horse trailer, taught myself to do it 30 years ago, it really isn't hard but you just need to do it.

When I don't tow for ages I might take a couple of goes at reversing something but my elderly Dad's friends all stand there and nod quietly when I reverse through his five bar gate.

It really isn't that hard.

lavendersun Fri 13-May-16 20:00:47

Oh, you might want towing mirrors, I have them but don't use them (probably breaking some rule).

The hardest part is reversing. Go really slowly and use your mirrors and you will be fine. Obvs turning the wheel the opposite way to the way you expect to. Of course you might have one of those electric mover things and not have to do anything at all!

ChippyMinton Fri 13-May-16 20:09:31

Thanks Lavendersun.
I'm going to borrow the tow car initially, to see how I get on, so it comes fully equipped. And the 'van has a motor mover, but I guess I still need to know how to reverse. I have a bit of a 'mare with knowing my right from my left, especially under pressure. I'd like to rock up at a pitch and look like I know what I'm doing!
Happy to do a course, 'm old so can tow on my licence.

lavendersun Fri 13-May-16 20:24:30

Mod cons, mod cons Chippy - relax, you can just drive up to your pitch sideways and use the remote control thingy - honestly, just give it a go in a car park with someone who can help you a tiny bit and you will be absolutely fine.

lavendersun Fri 13-May-16 20:25:58

and .... I bet there will be loads of other caravaners willing to lend a hand. Getting those little leg things down on the caravan must be harder than reversing.

Hamishandthefoxes Fri 13-May-16 20:28:18

A course might be worth it. I still wake u sometimes in a cold sweat remembering having to reverse a glider trailer (10m or so) out if s cul de sac onto a busy road because my dad gave me bad directions to find him.

I jack knifed into myself and cried. Luckily builders took pity on me and sorted it all out...

IslaSinga Fri 13-May-16 20:47:48

I have a friend who went on the course - he said it was excellent and very worth it.

Hettywashpot Sat 14-May-16 21:44:22

I did a towing course with the Camping and caravanning club before I towed the caravan on my own. It was well worth it. Practiced hitching up and reversing as well as some of the legal aspects and general advice. It was 1 day and not hugely expensive as I recall.

christmasmum Tue 17-May-16 21:23:09

My DH did the course and says it was great. He's really confident now which as neither of us have ever towed anything before was worth it all by itself!

serin Tue 17-May-16 23:22:26

I didn't go on the course but wish I had.

I taught myself to reverse very well but was not aware that you shouldn't reverse up a hill when towing a van.

£1000 for a new clutch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now