Talk

Advanced search

Festivals - take your own tent or pre-pitched?

(10 Posts)
HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sun 08-May-16 22:41:37

Ds and I (and possibly one more adult) are going to a festival in the summer.
I was all set to take my tent but am now having second thoughts and wondering whether to book a pre-pitched tent instead.
Any opinions?

KayJBee Sun 08-May-16 22:49:31

I've only been to 2 different festivals ( several times to each) and the prepitched tents at both were mega bucks. At one of them they were pitched really far away from the main areas too.
Saves a lot of hassle and I'm sure they'd be lovely but when the cost of a prepitched tent is more than the price of the actual festival ticket I just considered it too expensive and took our own.
However if you're looking at buying a tent especially and are unlikely to use it again then it might be more worth looking at the pre pitched ones.
We are a family of 5 so if you're a couple or family of 3 then I'm sure everything would be much cheaper so ignore my ramblings about it being expensive!

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sun 08-May-16 22:58:52

Thanks for the reply smile
Yes, it's quite pricey and that is the main reason for swaying towards taking my own tent. However, I'm already stressing about there being enough room to pitch it and possibly a pop-up shelter thingy.
Also, I believe the toilet/washing facilities are marginally better in the pre-pitched areas grin

Stars66 Sun 08-May-16 23:00:19

If you've got a tent, I'd use t! It see,s like such a waste to have those prepared pitches...
Which festival? We are going to shambala, and I can't wait smile

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sun 08-May-16 23:13:19

Yes, I probably should. I think I'm just having a panic...and flashbacks of going to festivals whenI----was----younger grin
We're going to carfest...I can't wait either!!!

I'm always tempted by pre-pitched options until I find out they are usually cost more than a 4* hotel per night.......you could buy quite a lovely tent (even an inflatable which apparently very easy to put up) for the same cost and use it more than once!
We are off to Carfest South and Chilled in a Field this year (and maybe one other if I work on DH).

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Mon 09-May-16 19:13:15

Ooh, might see you there!!
I'm just overthinking it all and sending myself into a tizz! I haven't been to a big festival for about 10 years and it'll be the first one with me as the only grown up.
I've just upgraded from a 3m to 4m bell tent (which cost a tiny bit more than the pre-pitched price...thanks for pointing it out smile , totally justified purchase now grin) so should be more than big enough to not need the pop-up too.
I just need to get a grip and stop worrying about non-issues!

whattodoforthebest2 Mon 09-May-16 19:23:45

I went to one last summer and was a bit irritated when people started pitching their tents practically on top of ours - taking up any outside space we had. For that reason alone, I'm thinking of booking a pre-pitched tent this year. I haven't looked into costs etc yet tho'. I should point out I'm an old fogey, so was hoping to have space for a chair and kettle-boiling space!

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Mon 09-May-16 20:05:48

Whattodo - that sounds like my experience of big festivals. We'd arrive early, pitch the tent and go for a wander around the main site. Someone would be pitched in our garden area by the time we returned a few hours later hmm grin. However, there was always enough space to sit outside and make a cuppa.
I was looking at photos of the pre-pitched camping field from last year's festival and they also look quite tightly packed in.

OnyK Thu 12-May-16 22:38:38

Take your own!
We've been festivalling for years and only had a problem finding a pitch one year.
Don't buy a massive tent and get there as early as you can. It's not a camping trip, it's a festival!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now