Talk

Advanced search

Icey Tek Size

(10 Posts)
pocketsized Sat 30-Apr-16 19:02:19

I know you lot love a good Icey Tek thread and I haven't seen one in a while. DH and I have had a little surprise cash, and have decided to upgrade some of our camping things, which includes purchasing an Icey Tek!!!!

Now, the big question is what size!? DH wants the 56l long box, but I think the 40l will do just fine. I'm worried about the large one taking up too much space and being harder to keep cold. DH is worries we won't fit enough in the 40l.

There are 4 of us (2 adults, 2 small DC), and we tend to spend 4-5 days at a time camping in the UK, with the odd 2 week trip to the continent.

What do you think, bigger or smaller....?

Blu Sun 01-May-16 15:39:42

Have you looked at the pages on the website that show you exactly what fits in?

Have you got room in your car for a massive one? My 25l is pretty big!

pocketsized Sun 01-May-16 15:58:50

Yes, I've had a look on the website, and I think the 40l is plenty! DH seems to be of the opinion that we're going to spend that much on a coolbox we might as well spend the extra £30 for a massive one (we have a trailer tent and an estate car, so it will physically fit)

I just can't see that we'll need that much space, I only want one really because it annoys me not being able to keep fresh milk, or throwing out ham/cheese etc for lunches when it's warm and we don't use it quick enough.

Blu Sun 01-May-16 16:59:49

I don't think you will need a 56l one either, and as you say it might be hard to keep cold if it is half empty. But then some bottles of beer, lots of milk (we tend not to use much milk camping) etc...

Experiment with a cardboard box of roughly the same size, and see how big it seems compared to what you usually take.

pocketsized Sun 01-May-16 17:51:48

Ooh, that's an excellent idea blu. Trots off to find appropriate sized box...

isambardo Tue 03-May-16 13:23:50

We are a family of four and the 40l is plenty for us. We've used it for long weekends for 7 people (food and booze). Just drawing out the footprint of each would be useful, the 56l must be massive!

superherostrawberry Wed 04-May-16 21:07:46

We have the 56L long and it's huge but it's also brilliant. Last year in cornwall we were still putting ice cubes in our gin & tonics after a whole week... we could fit loads in it and it all stayed v cold with a 48 hour pre-camp cooling session at home with huge frozen bottles of water from the freezer to bring the temp right down before we left.
We have a huge 4x4 so have enough space but it is big. we're a family of 5 - planning to be 6 in the next few years so didn't want to have to buy twice. It also makes a fab bench/small table for card games smile

pocketsized Sat 07-May-16 12:34:10

I've caved and agreed DH can get the bigger one, now to choose a colour!

superherostrawberry Sat 07-May-16 21:37:12

Actually I lie - we got two. One for camping and DH wanted one for at work.

Red and yellow and when they turned up I picked the yellow, it looks fab!

pocketsized Sat 07-May-16 23:08:11

Ooh, I just ordered it - in yellow! Very excited!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now