Anyone else camping this weekend?

(38 Posts)
Muchtoomuchtodo Thu 28-Apr-16 22:04:50

We're heading to The Forest of Dean.

Looks like it could be a chilly one!

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 28-Apr-16 22:09:37

No but I have a DC doing DofE in the Forest - it's going to be 1 degree overnight apparently sad

Muchtoomuchtodo Thu 28-Apr-16 22:10:24

I've packed thermals and lots of extra blankets!

TwoLeftSocks Thu 28-Apr-16 22:12:50

Yep. Can't say I'm that keen, we've had snow this week.

moonbells Thu 28-Apr-16 22:17:12

We have Centenary Cub camp this weekend. Over a thousand of them...

gruber Thu 28-Apr-16 22:20:00

Yep. Our first camp this year in the new forest. Not going is not an option with a very excited 3 year old.

Muchtoomuchtodo Thu 28-Apr-16 22:29:40

Our dc are super excited too. No chance of rearranging!

I can see that we may consume more than the average amount of hot chocolate!

toomanyeasterbunnies Thu 28-Apr-16 22:32:32

We went during Easter. It was wet and very cold but the kids loved it. Lots of blankets\sleeping bags, hot water bottles and a fan heater made it toasty. You'll have a fab time.

Muchtoomuchtodo Thu 28-Apr-16 22:33:34

Fan heater is in (electric), but I won't leave it running overnight.

LittlehumHams Thu 28-Apr-16 22:33:42

Yes. Any tips to keep warm and not end up with hypothermia? sad

LittlehumHams Thu 28-Apr-16 22:34:16

...needs to fit in one rucksack.

pearlylum Thu 28-Apr-16 22:36:49

No- heavy snow and gusting wind forecast here.

Muchtoomuchtodo Thu 28-Apr-16 22:38:04

Layers (merino wool base) and a hat.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 28-Apr-16 22:43:36

Yes that's the trouble when you have to physically carry everything. Can't take bkankets/hotties etc.
I reckon it should be called off really (the DofE thing, not your trip!)

LittlehumHams Thu 28-Apr-16 22:47:10

My ds doing D of E too (hence the rucksack). Ok with him going but he is talking about wearing a T shirt because his sleeping bag will be warm enough. Sigh.

averythinline Thu 28-Apr-16 22:47:40

We are, but banking on fire + thermals, hats scarfs gloves and camping excitement ...no electric so heater not n option.....wondering bout taking hot water bottle but v wary of leaks.....

pearlylum Thu 28-Apr-16 22:49:02

shotgun, I agree, my DD did bronze DofE last year, it was a blizzard and minus 5 in the scottish mountains,
Many kids came back quite ill.
I am glad she is not doing her silver.

Milliways Thu 28-Apr-16 22:52:14

Yes, but cheating in our "tin tent" smile

Blu Thu 28-Apr-16 22:59:03

When DS has camped in cold temperatures (Scouts) I got him a packet of those hand warmers from Decathlon to put in his sleeping bag.

And in his pocket in the evening to stop going to bed with cold hands.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 29-Apr-16 08:19:13

Christ Pearly that's inhuman! He's already recovering from a cold but inaisted on going. Think he just wants it over and out of the way.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 29-Apr-16 08:21:37

I dug out the silk thermals from ski trips we used to go on. He says he'll wear them at night, but I can't see him being prepared to strip off in the cold in order to get them on!

janinlondon Fri 29-Apr-16 08:42:59

Blu has suggested the best option here. DD did DofE silver practice two weekends ago and it was minus 2 in their tent. Handwarmers are a great idea - BUT be warned - they do go out of date and stop working!! Buy new ones!

DaughterDrowningInJunk Fri 29-Apr-16 08:51:50

I promised the DC we would camp but there is snow where we were going. I looked into hotels but it would cost £500+ room only for the weekend, which is a bit out of my price range. We have 4 season bags. Will we survive? I would take hot water bottles. We have a very small car so there really isn't room for us to take duvets and stuff. We have thick sims. I am really conflicted about this. I don't want to let them down, but I can't see that they would enjoy it very much.They have ski thermals and stuff too.

Forecast is -2 at night. We are fair weather campers.

hillbilly Fri 29-Apr-16 09:22:17

We have bailed sad too cold for DH.

SouthDownsSunshine Fri 29-Apr-16 09:31:47

We have also bailed, too cold! And dd(2) has a horrible cold which means none of us have slept for a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now