Don't know where to start with self inflating mattresses...

(13 Posts)
ag123 Tue 26-Apr-16 13:48:46

We have just invested in a 5m bell tent of our own and intend to become regular campers...

We are a family of 4, mum, dad, 4 & a half year old and 8 month old (baby will obvs be in a travel cot).

We already have 2 camping trips to west Cornwall planned- a week in the summer and also may half term so I really need to start accumulating some gear.

I have heard that sim's are the best thing to sleep on...I guess a double would be best for us and will a sim work for our 4 year old? We are willing to invest in something reasonably decent but I literally have no idea where to start... Why are there different thicknesses and what is best? Is there a reliable brand anyone can recommend?

TIA

AppleMagic Tue 26-Apr-16 13:53:09

SIMs are great. I'd get two singles for the adults instead of a double but I like my space and the doubles seem small. Get at least 7.5cm thick.
Because your 4 year old is lighter a thinner (and cheaper) one will be fine. Dd (same age) sleeps on a 3cm and doesn't complain.

RNBrie Tue 26-Apr-16 13:53:23

There are different thicknesses because the thicker the more comfy but also the heavier and more cumbersome to transport.

We went for two singles rather than a double because it's easier and more flexible. The kids (nearly 2 and 4) sleep on ReadyBeds.

We have Vango 10cm self inflating mattresses. They are extremely comfy and we both get a good night's sleep. They are really heavy to transport though and take up a lot of space in the car. If you don't have a giant boot, I'd go for something smaller and thinner.

AppleMagic Tue 26-Apr-16 13:54:36

I have an Outwell Dreamboat which is very comfy. DH has a Vango Comfort which was cheaper and is probably as comfortable. Dd has a higear one.

PurpleRibbons Tue 26-Apr-16 13:57:01

I've just bought some cheap ones from Tesco, haven't tried it yet but we got fed up of trying to fit the big airbeds in the car. Bought a sim for 2 yr old DD too, do you think she'll be ok on it?

squeezed Tue 26-Apr-16 14:04:40

Dh and I still use our hiking sims. He's trying to convince me to get a double but I don't really see the need. DD used one last year and slept really well on it. We've got thin ones bit might invest in thicker ones as we're needing the comfort a bit more these days smile

Callmecordelia Wed 27-Apr-16 07:47:35

My five year old uses her Lidl sim. I bought it for her last year, when she was the same age as your DC. It's been really good for her, when they are small and light they don't need a very expensive thick sim. She does roll off it occasionally, but she's so tired out with the fresh air she doesn't wake up. smile

hillbilly Wed 27-Apr-16 11:40:34

Vango 7.5cm double for us and single High Gears for the kids.

ag123 Wed 27-Apr-16 13:31:10

So, within a brand like outwell, they have different models e.g. Dreamcatcher, dreamboat etc...does anyone have any idea whether these have any significance if both have the same thickness?

RaisingSteam Wed 27-Apr-16 17:29:54

Dh is a very hardcore camper but this year I've got him an Alpkit Dozer 7.5cm SIM to match the one I've had for a few years. Coupled with a zero degree sleeping bag it's as comfortable as your own bed. You can always put ethnic blanket over to glamp it up! Personally think double SIM would be a beast to roll up and transport.

I think it's mainly a matter of thickness although more expensive ones like thermarests will pack down smaller- check the packed size.

Children will probably sleep on roll mat TBH, main thing is they are warm.

AppleMagic Wed 27-Apr-16 17:46:15

ag it might be the size, the fabric it's covered in, how small it packs away or the composition of the inside (memory foam etc) but I expect it doesn't make much difference.

hillbilly Wed 27-Apr-16 18:31:17

Raising steam you are right about packing down the double sim. It's the hardest job of packing up!

fiorentina Wed 27-Apr-16 22:00:16

We have single and double ones. I've had a thermarest for years but the newer ones were from Sports Direct and seem just as comfy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now