Talk

Advanced search

camping - France

(8 Posts)
Daydreamer3 Wed 20-Apr-16 08:31:23

Hello,

My fiancé and I are thinking of going to France this summer camping. Neither of us have been before and wondered if anyone could shed some light on best areas, campsites, where to cross etc.

We are 27 & 28, no children, saving for a wedding next year so main issues are something relatively cheap and ideally not too far to travel after the crossing ie; a few hours driving distance as opposed to having to stay overnight in a hotel en route to the campsite. We were thinking dordogne but open to any suggestions where the weather would be decent in September.

Any help greatly appreciated! smile

thruthewisteria Wed 20-Apr-16 09:02:53

Campsite recommendations depend on what you are looking for eg a v quiet relaxing small site where you will do most cooking yourselves or a lively site with entertainment. They vary hugely.

We tend to go to Castels sites. Not the cheapest but v high standard (high standard of loos and showers v important to us).

Dordogne has loads of sites and should be warm enough in sept (and not as busy as in July and August). You don't want it too hot in daytime if in a tent.

To do it cheaply you can pay for eurotunnel with Tesco clubcard vouchers.

Have fun!

Daydreamer3 Wed 20-Apr-16 10:08:24

Thank you for your help!

Yes sorry should have mentioned that- relatively quiet for us but would be nice to be within a decent driving distance to towns/things to see. Not looking for any entertainment and for the most part be looking to cook ourselves.

I will have a look into that thanks, clean facilities are high on our list also!

thruthewisteria Wed 20-Apr-16 13:41:55

We like quiet sites and like the Castels sites at Le Mans and poinsuze. Lots to see near Le Mans but maybe a bit far north for sept. Nothing to see near poinsuze.

I think the the dordogne Castels sites might be quite large and busy. I've heard good things about boisson which is further south but haven't been there myself.

BlueGazebo Thu 21-Apr-16 07:34:08

Also have a look at the Alsace area and the Alps/Annecy - lovely with lots to do. Have a look at the ukcampsites.co.uk website - you can do site searches and read reviews.

seaswimming Thu 21-Apr-16 10:41:04

We also use Castels a lot - have never been to a bad one yet.

Lots of lovely sites in the Vendee and just south of there. If you get a Brittany ferry from Portsmouth then is only 4 - 6 hours drive to get most places in that region

averylongtimeago Thu 21-Apr-16 11:35:27

If you are travelling in September then all the sites will be much quieter as the children are back at school and the main french holiday season is August.
I would go down the camping cheques route - (Google camping cheques Alan Rogers ) basically you buy vouchers which entitles you to a pitch on participating site. These are MUCH cheaper than the sites normal fee. They also do good ferry deals as well.
Agree look at the camping and castles sites, have stayed on lots, all good.
There are lots of great sites in the Dordogne, how far do you want to drive? It's a good day to get there.
If you only want a couple of hours drive, get the Brittany ferry crossing to roscoff and try s Brittany or the vandee.

Daydreamer3 Fri 22-Apr-16 08:19:44

Thanks for the replies!

I'm going to have a look into all the suggestions. Not usually too worried about the drive as its just myself and the OH but unsure how long we can go for yet which will impact the driving time.

I did originally think Brittany but unsure what the weather would be like in September, first- second week we are thinking.

Thanks again all! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now