Talk

Advanced search

SIMs for couple

(12 Posts)
AlmaMartyr Sun 10-Apr-16 11:33:16

We're regular campers and up until now have been using the single SIMs from Aldi which have been fine. Last year DH and I realised that they were a bit worse for wear and are keen to replace ours with something a bit better for the two of us. My inclination is to go for a double as we have a double sleeping bag and then the mattresses won't slip apart over night. It's quite difficult to find doubles though, and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations or recommends two singles instead (and which ones?). I don't want an airbed as I tend to find them too cold and quite uncomfortable.

Thank you very much in advance for any recommendations!

logfiresspit Sun 10-Apr-16 14:34:55

marking my place as we're wondering too. considering the Outsell Dreamboat, which is insanely expensive, but DH is a hopeless sleeper (bony, chilly, tall...)

SalomeD Mon 11-Apr-16 14:30:37

I have the Vango double and the Multimat double, both are 7.5cm and I got these as they fit our Outwell Posadas double bed.

Happy with both but tempted to change to singles next time around as they are a bit cumbersome to store inflated in the house.

Have also just bought 2 10cm Dreamcatchers for our boys - very, very comfy.

AlmaMartyr Mon 11-Apr-16 15:40:27

Thanks Salome! Do you reckon it's worth paying the extra for the 10cm over the 7.5cm? I've been looking at the 7.5cm Outwell Dreamcatcher. I figure it has to be an upgrade over the broken Aldi 5cm but wasn't sure if it was worth paying extra for the 10 or not. I'm quite comfy as it is tbh, just DH who isn't.

Hollowcal Thu 14-Apr-16 12:53:15

Hi we've just purchased our first tent and totally amateur at all of this! We've bought a 6man tent and will be taking 3 children inc 2 year old! What beds would people suggest, I was thinking 2 doubles for us and 2 older kids and little one in her cot?? I've been looking at the advice re airbeds v SIMs?? Putting picnic blankets underneath to keep the warmth in etc??? We've spent a fortune on the tent and other items so what should we do about beds?? Are the SIMs closer to floor, I assume so or do you put something underneath?? Advice please??😚

SalomeD Thu 14-Apr-16 18:26:13

AlmaMartyr, yes - definitely get as thick as your budget allows.

SalomeD Thu 14-Apr-16 18:28:32

Hollowcal, the SIMs are on the floor (lots of people put them atop a camp bed too). The main difference is that they have sponge inside and so are a lot warmer than an airbed which is just air. People tend to put blankets under their air beds to help increase the temperature of the air in the air bed

averythinline Thu 14-Apr-16 18:39:48

We have singles and just use a fitted sheet to keep them together ...tried a double but bulky to pack in the car ..esp on the going home pack which I hate...and also to store..

averythinline Thu 14-Apr-16 18:44:58

Hate air beds, much colder and if u get a leak ..nightmare
we have theramarests for us and ds has a vango ...3cm kids don't really need thick ones...I put a fleece blanket underneath in case he rolls off
I would prefer thicker mat but they're indestructabile so can't justify cost....if just starting out and you can get to Aldi/lidl when they have their camping stuff in would commend their mats to start with...add comfort with fleeces/duvet ..

fiorentina Fri 22-Apr-16 20:42:46

We have a double gelert one found via Amazon I think. They inflate separately as I realised when DH had been sleeping on the floor all night! shock

Blu Fri 22-Apr-16 22:33:03

We have a double SIM, but I hate it. Bulky to pack and labour intensive to deflate and roll when packing up. I would use two singles in a double fitted sheet.

AlmaMartyr Sat 23-Apr-16 15:46:13

We bought the Outwell Dreamcatcher and it's fab, very pleased. When packed away, it's not that much bigger than one of our singles so that's good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now