Talk

Advanced search

A new board game to play whilst camping?

(30 Posts)
loubielou31 Sun 27-Mar-16 12:14:22

Every year we get a new game to play whilst on holiday in the caravan. (We don't take a TV with us so games help us to pass the time)
I need a recommendation for a new one. DCs are 16, 14, 8, 6 so games for any age ie ones the older ones can play when the smalls are in bed or games for the younger that we can all play. Just tell me your favourites please.

For those who want to know, our favourites so far
Dobble, a brilliant snap type game
Uno
Bananagrams
Pass the Pigs
Shut the box, so simple, annoyingly addictive
Simon swipe, an update on the version I had a child (I find the noise quite annoying but the kids love it.)
Perudo (liar dice)

Ijustworkhere Sun 27-Mar-16 23:40:34

Orchard games what a performance might go down well with the youngest. It's a charades based game. Labyrinth is also fab (maze building) !

browntintedspectacles Mon 28-Mar-16 18:01:26

We love Qwirkle. Everyone from DDs (6 & 9) to adults play in our family. Adults can use strategy to try to block other players and youngsters can try to match pictures and colours so9 it works on all levels. Youngest DD usually wins!!

HettyD Mon 28-Mar-16 18:01:47

Rummikub is fun...and backgammon a firm favourite favourite here!!

Roarlikeadinosaur Mon 28-Mar-16 18:03:19

Linkee!

YouAreMyRain Mon 28-Mar-16 18:06:41

I second quirkle and labyrinth. Slamwich is also good

CaptainMarvelDanvers Mon 28-Mar-16 18:15:58

There is a youtube series called 'Tabletop with Wil Wheaton' they play different board games some are family friendly while others are for a more older audience. Some games like Sheriff of Nottingham I would never have considered playing until I watch Tabletop.

'Ticket to ride' is a good clean game which makes you so strangely competitive that you don't care that your beating a 7 year old.

If you have the time to learn you could always try a tabletop rpg, like 'Dungeons and Dragons' or 'Star Wars: Edge of the Empire'. D&D is a lot easier though.

CaptainMarvelDanvers Mon 28-Mar-16 18:16:33

*Watched

Apologies my grammar is rubbish.

MrsTrentReznor Mon 28-Mar-16 18:17:21

Fluxx! It's awesome, my DP and I play it nearly every week whilst waiting for our pub quiz team to arrive.
Suitable for all ages and takes up very little room.
grin

MrsTrentReznor Mon 28-Mar-16 18:18:10

Oh! And I second Ticket to ride too!

millimat Mon 28-Mar-16 22:15:49

I was going to say labyrinth! Also we love top trumps smile

Lotsofcamping Tue 05-Apr-16 20:50:28

We take all those camping! 2 other recommendations which pack up small are Yahtzee (I am sure we annoy all our neighbours with our shouts of Yahtzee) and Love Letters. We've got the Harry Potter version.

superbaghag Tue 05-Apr-16 20:52:52

Rat A Tat Cat, Sushi Go, Sleeping queens.

Lotsofcamping Tue 05-Apr-16 20:53:05

Sorry not Harry Potter Love Letters, but the Hobbit!

DoorbellsSleighbellsSchnitzel Tue 05-Apr-16 20:55:28

Exploding Kittens is a fab card game.

Spandexpants007 Tue 05-Apr-16 20:58:55

Dixit

Toffeelatteplease Tue 05-Apr-16 21:01:19

Sushi go, forbidden Island, minecraft the card game, astronauts, mhing (if you can find it)

PennyHasNoSurname Tue 05-Apr-16 21:03:26

Scotland Yard

Jaimx86 Tue 05-Apr-16 21:05:35

LINKEE is a great board game.

akkakk Tue 05-Apr-16 21:09:07

Chess & backgammon?

Mancala is a very simple game

Lots of packs of cards!

profpoopsnagle Tue 05-Apr-16 21:33:40

Like qwirkle very much.

A friend recently introduced us to 'Set' which is great as it's the size of a pack of cards. A bit tricky to play at the start, but once you have cracked it then it's great. And you can play alone or with 2-4 people.

HairyMaclary Tue 05-Apr-16 21:36:43

Pit - it's very noisy, great fun and works best with more people (more than 4) so is great to play camping as you rope all the neighbours in!

Toffeelatteplease Tue 05-Apr-16 21:41:05

Mancala is an awful game. You very quickly spot that the second player (from memory) has such an advantage that they should always be able to manipulate the play to win.

blueemerald Tue 05-Apr-16 21:49:17

Survive: Escape from Atlantis is great. It might have too many pieces for camping but it says it works from 8 and up but I think that might be a push I'd say 11 is age when you'd really "get" the tactics (disclaimer: I don't know any 8 year olds).

TheDuckSaysMoo Tue 05-Apr-16 21:53:51

Ingenious - we play it with our kids or adult friends and we all love it. The minecraft card game is pretty good too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now