Talk

Advanced search

Anyone able to help me with caravan tow weights?

(6 Posts)
Fizzy81 Tue 15-Mar-16 17:22:01

Just that really!

AalyaSecura Tue 15-Mar-16 17:23:19

What do you want to know? Have just bought a caravan, so have heavily researched.

Fizzy81 Tue 15-Mar-16 17:40:18

Congratulations!

We're just looking so very confused.

The problem is we only have a 1.4l Astra.

The caravan we have seen is M.A.W 1200kg.

Figures I can see on the registration certificate are:

Max Permissible mass: 1735kg
Mass in service: 1240kg

Then there is another section.

Technical permissible maximum towable mass of the trailer:
Braked: 1000kg
Unbraked: 615kg

AalyaSecura Tue 15-Mar-16 20:41:19

You're looking for the kerb weight of the car, that's 1240kg. The caravan club recommend that you tow no more than 85% of your car's kerb weight, which in your case would be 1054kg, but regardless, you can't exceed your maximum towable mass, which is 1000kg (caravans are classed as braked). So you need to look for a caravan with a MTPLM (maximum technical permissible laden mass) that is below 1000kg. All caravans will quote what their MTPLM is - it basically is what the caravan weighs when you buy it with some weight added on for all the stuff you're likely to put in it.

So go looking for a caravan below 1000kg MTPLM. I'm not sure there are many though, as an Astra is a light car to be towing with.

AalyaSecura Tue 15-Mar-16 20:44:44

Just checked - looks like MAW is the same as MTPLM, but it's the latter that is mostly used. A 1200kg caravan won't be legal with an Astra I'm afraid, you can't exceed the 1000kg towable mass.

Fizzy81 Tue 15-Mar-16 23:37:07

Gah and thank you!!! Yes that's the conclusion we arrived at.

We think we have a solution though - will fill you in if we go ahead! (Not using the Astra :-) )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now