Talk

Advanced search

Camping for a whole week! What non essentials do I need?

(43 Posts)
Mrsmulder Sun 07-Feb-16 22:39:10

We are on the verge of booking a camping trip for 7 nights. I have never done more than 2 before so am stressing about my comfort! I need to be warm so am thinking about buying a gas heater. We will also probably go for electric pitch. We have the essentials and a decent size tent but I am thinking of maybe taking a slow cooker for food. Is that possible? And also what other luxury items do you think are worth paying for? We are saving by staying in a tent rather than a caravan and plan to camp quite a bit over the summer so have a bit of spare cash for more camping stuff

inmyheadimthequeen Sun 07-Feb-16 22:44:10

Do NOT use a gas heater in a tent, it's dangerous. Same goes for barbecues, keep them outside at all times. Spend instead on thick mat rolls and decent sleeping bags or extra fleeces. If you have the room, pack foldup beds. And wine, lots of wine grin

stargirl1701 Sun 07-Feb-16 22:45:08

Decent SIMs make all the difference.

Greengager Sun 07-Feb-16 22:46:56

Moon chair. Much better than a week on a deckchair

Fishcake72 Sun 07-Feb-16 22:47:54

Electric hookup - kettle, toaster, laptop and DVDs for when it pours with rain! Lots of wine!

mulberrybag Sun 07-Feb-16 22:48:46

Baby wipes, fairy lights, dustpan and brush and shit loads of wine

AuditAngel Sun 07-Feb-16 22:49:51

Thermals, wine, electric hook up, lap top and dvd's, fan heater

Mrsmulder Sun 07-Feb-16 22:50:36

Oh god, I don't even know what sims are?

Wine goes without saying tho grin

Can't i use the gas heater with the door open? Maybe it would be better to get an electric one or a fire put type thing for outside?

Blu Sun 07-Feb-16 22:50:37

What time of year? Summer?

I would not have a gas heater in a tent for reasons of fire and CO .

Personally I would go to a site that allows fires and sit out by the fire. Wear a fleece and warm socks and don't get your clothes damp.

You should be OK in summer as long as you are well insulated from the ground at night .

Comfy chair , storage, think through your 2 day trips and what is the hardest work / most inconvenient thing, and make that your priority for better kit. That's why I said storage. I don't have a proper kitchen or storage set up and it drives me mad having everything on the ground and all over the place, after a bit.

Stinkyfeet Sun 07-Feb-16 22:50:57

Campbeds
Fridge
Electric kettle
Portaloo
Fan heater

I camp quite happily for 2 weeks with that lot!

KeepOnPlodding Sun 07-Feb-16 22:52:03

One of these? smilesmilesmile

Mrsmulder Sun 07-Feb-16 22:52:29

End of May is the plan. It's a proper site with all the amenities so I am sure it's survivable! I just want it to feel like a holiday

KeepOnPlodding Sun 07-Feb-16 22:55:54

Oh, and sounds silly but I want a 'proper' mug for my coffee (not a tiny plastic camping mug) and the best instant coffee I can find.

Tactfulcactus Sun 07-Feb-16 22:56:17

Hot water bottle. Hot chocolate and brandy. Fridge.

stargirl1701 Sun 07-Feb-16 22:57:45

These are wonderful.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/ie/therm-a-rest/mattresses/camp-and-comfort/neoair-dream/product

Mrsmulder Sun 07-Feb-16 23:02:49

Thanks everyone will make a list! Can you get a compact fridge? My car has it's limits! Feel like I will end up taking my whole house grin

Has anyone used a slow cooker in a tent?

Wolfiefan Sun 07-Feb-16 23:05:12

Watch you don't blow a fuse! Eg we take a camping kettle so as not to knock out the power.

Plateofcrumbs Sun 07-Feb-16 23:06:34

No to gas heaters in tents!

I would definitely invest in storage. It's the mess that makes camping painful.

Stinkyfeet Sun 07-Feb-16 23:09:45

Trailer

Haven't used a slow cooker camping but can't see any reason why not to. We always BBQ or eat in the pub. Always camp close to a pub!

shutupandshop Sun 07-Feb-16 23:11:23

A hotelgrin

Mrsmulder Sun 07-Feb-16 23:11:51

Great, will look into storage. Electric kettle is also a good idea, waiting for half an hour for a cuppa isn't fun!

Maybe we could BBQ and then use the BBQ for heat later on?

Stinkyfeet Sun 07-Feb-16 23:14:14

DO NOT TAKE THE BBQ INTO THE TENT FOR WARMTH.

IT COULD KILL YOU.

Wolfiefan Sun 07-Feb-16 23:15:55

Can't BBQ inside!!
To stay warm. Layer of insulation under mat (or SIM or whatever) between that and sleeping bag and over sleeping bag.
Get changed into PJs before it gets colder. Layers over the top. Take a fleece and hat and layers of socks. Thermals if proper freezing. You can always remove layers. Blankets to snuggle in and put over sleeping bag.
Decent sleeping bag. Check comfort rating of temp. Summer ones no good for all but the warmest August nights.

Dungandbother Sun 07-Feb-16 23:16:43

Plastic boxes for food. Like big stackable ones. And extra ones to turn over for side tables.

Think Ants and food. Got to have sealed storage for food.

Lots of sealable freezer bags.
Pegs
Insulated coffee mug - your coffee goes cold quick.
Tea towels
Good scrubbing sponge
Washing up bowl
Wellies. Waterproofs

Yes slow cooker. Great idea. Spag, chilli, whole chicken (dry) with bread.

Airbeds. As long as you are off the floor and have winter duvets you should be ok. Bobble Hats. At night if it's cold.

Book a food delivery to the campsite. Love having Ocado pitch up to my pitch grin

Bar of soap in an old pair of tights. So kids (are they coming) can wash hands easily at the water tap.

And a 5litre water bottle. You need water and don't want to walk back and fro all day.

SinisterBumFacedCat Sun 07-Feb-16 23:18:00

A hat to wear in bed.

We took a small microwave last time. Brilliant!

Also "back door shoes" for keeping just outside the tent.

Storage is a must.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now