Places to camp in Devon - not on a 'normal' campsite

(15 Posts)
sassylassie Sun 07-Feb-16 12:19:21

Apologies for the subject line. I have finally persuaded DH to go camping again this summer after our disastrous family debut last year. But he dislikes "being in a big field crammed in with loads of other people half of whom are partying". He has a point. We have a 22-month old and a 4-year old who are both the world's lightest sleepers. We went to the countryside for some peace and quiet and I spent ages looking for a campsite with more than average space between pitches and a reputation for being more family friendly. It was a lovely place with a playground and animals and lots of families, but it was very busy and there was also a lot of noise after dark, so we were all tired and cranky for most of the holiday. I think what he is looking for is not actually a proper campsite, but somewhere picturesque with a few basic facilities where there's space for some tents. I thought of the YHA hostels that have a bit of camping attached, or maybe pubs/stately homes?

Any suggestions? We really love South Devon, so particularly looking there, but open to ideas if anyone's been anywhere really lovely.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 07-Feb-16 12:34:20

You could join the caravan and camping club and then look at their small CS sites, normally 5 pitches only.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 07-Feb-16 12:35:40

This place is meant to be nice but ive never been.

www.littlemeadow.co.uk

blackteaplease Sun 07-Feb-16 12:36:29

Tenacres vineyard is lovely.

Devilishpyjamas Sun 07-Feb-16 12:39:50

There's a campsite behind the plume of feathers in princetown (& a small campsite on a farm nearby although I can't remember what it's called - my friend takes her autistic daughter there because it's quiet & calm for her & she won't disturb people).

ineedaholidaynow Sun 07-Feb-16 12:45:39

I don't do camping so am not an expert on campsites, but last year we met up with some friends who were camping at a lovely site near Torquay, Manor Farm, Daccombe. As I don't do camping we stayed in the farmhouse grin.

The campsite was quite small, 2 fields really. The toilet block and washing facilities were clean. There was also a small children's play area, but the children spent most of their time running round the fields. There were not many people staying, so certainly not on top of each other. As there aren't a huge amount of facilities and the campsite is on the outskirts of a small hamlet it obviously is not a tourist hotspot, but is not that far away from Torquay etc.

JumpingGerbils Sun 07-Feb-16 12:48:43

I don't know campsites in Devon, but we were members of the Camping and Caravanning Club and used their certificated sites (we're having a break from camping this year). The ones we've visited have been small, quiet sites, some are just a field on a farm, with or without toilets/showers. We have been to some lovely sites over the years, and they are usually cheap too. Our first campsite was awful, dirty and noisy but luckily this didn't put us off and we have had some great holidays on CSs.

We went to a lovely site last year in Norfolk, set on the edge of woods, in the middle of the countryside.

sassylassie Sun 07-Feb-16 12:50:23

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I like the look of the Tenacres vineyard blackteaplease as there are only a small number of tents and caravans.

Has anyone camped by Beer YHA? That looks nice. And it would be nice to use the YHA facilities too.

TiggyD Mon 08-Feb-16 20:40:12

I've been to Little meadow (mentioned above) and loved it. Small and low density. Toilets/showers great. Washing up area with the best view imaginable! Recycling shed infested with swallows, so mind your head when you go in. The place is terraced so everybody gets a good view across to South Wales. Next to a children's park of some kind.

Well worth a visit.

AwkwardAnnie Thu 11-Feb-16 20:47:36

I've not camped at Beer YHA but I have stayed there. I didn't realise you could camp. It's a lovely YHA, small but they have a lounge and a large dining area. The location is great. It's just outside the village but still walking distance even for littlies.

MrsPeel1 Thu 11-Feb-16 20:53:07

Prickly ball farm just on the way towards the South Hams. It's not widely used as a camp site and is next to a hedgehog sanctuary and farm that is perfect for children the ages of yours. You won't regret it!!!

liger Thu 11-Feb-16 20:58:28

This place is lovely. Very friendly family run place.

junosfield.moonfruit.com

parrotonmyshoulder Thu 11-Feb-16 20:58:39

Beara farm, Buckfastleigh. River swimming, passing steam trains. Only a field (and reasonable but rustic loo and shower).

BlimeyCrikey Thu 11-Feb-16 21:03:05

On Facebook there are a couple of groups, camping with kids (I think) and tent talk. There is lots of information and helpful people on tent talk which I prefer.

SandpitDreams Sun 10-Jul-16 22:34:43

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now