Talk

Advanced search

A 3 person tent for 3 people

(16 Posts)
BloodyBloods Sat 30-Jan-16 12:20:11

I need to get a 3 person tent! We currently have a 6 person tent but we need something smaller for weekends/festivals. I know we should really be looking at a 4 person tent for 3 but some of the sites we want to go to only allow 3 person tents so that is a limiting factor.

It needs to be able to fit 3 full size sims so a backpacking type tent is probably out, even though that would really be my preference. We would need a porch for coolbox/shoes etc but I don't think we would be sitting in the tent for any length of time.

I've only looked at vango so far because you can often get bargains on ebay. I'm not looking at top brands, but we will only be camping in wet and windy locations so it needs to be reasonable quality. I am not very well at the moment so won't be using the tent for some time but I thought I would start looking now so that I can keep an eye on ebay.

I don't want a pop-up and I have seen some nifty quick-pitch tents but they are single skinned so no good for us. It needs to be quick/easy to pitch for one adult.

Another big consideration is pack size. Our current tent takes up the entire boot so everything else is just crammed into the car and we can't take anything other than the very basics.

Has anybody got a 3 person tent they would particularly recommend, or one they would avoid please?

profpoopsnagle Sat 30-Jan-16 15:51:19

Wild country tents might fit your spec.

Lots on ebay including this bargain

Milliways Sat 30-Jan-16 16:27:52

Khyam scare great and this one gets good reviews and uses the rapid expansion built in pole system.

I would get a bell tent over a tunnel tent. Bitter experience tells me that a tunnel tent, pitched on grass anyyhing less smooth as a golf green, tends to leak and drip in the middle when it rains.

BloodyBloods Sat 30-Jan-16 16:56:18

Thank you, those Khyams look good. Please don't encourage me with the bell tent! I want a bell tent more than I can say but I've nowhere to store it or dry it and it would still take up too much space in the car. But if I lived in a massive house with a massive garden and had a massive car I would definitely get a bell tent!

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sat 30-Jan-16 17:39:22

I have a 3 metre bell tent. It's not that big when it's in its bag and I regularly squeeze three sims in it. However, there's not a great deal of room for everything else but it's certainly manageable for weekends/festivals.

I've also had an outwell. I think it was a Carolina m? Was supposed to be a 2 man but I got three sims in easily and the living space was huge!! Packed down relatively compactly but was very heavy because of the steel poles.

NannyR Mon 01-Feb-16 08:10:16

I have the 3 metre soul pad lite bell tent. It's polycotton so dries quickly and I can easily fit it in a skoda citigo (with one of the back seats down)
I use it for one person, I think it would be cosy but doable with three. You would probably need a tarp to make a porch for cooking etc.
My first tent was a vango beta 3, a tunnel tent. I hated it and only used it once before buying the bell tent.

TheGnomeMobile1 Fri 05-Feb-16 00:23:27

Vango equinox 350. Really quick and easy to pitch, small pack size and light. Good big porch area (comparatively) although you will need a separate groundsheet (we cut and pasted one to fit). Where are you camping that will only allow 3 man tents? Intrigued...

lavendersun Fri 05-Feb-16 07:59:45

We have this for cycle camping. I can confirm that three people can actually fit inside!

You can sit up to get changed too which is a plus.

ArthurMcAffertyhastwocats Fri 05-Feb-16 08:15:06

Wild Country tents are indeed terrific. Easy to put up, pack down very small (our four man with central living space has a tiny bag of poles and v small bag for the canvas).

lavendersun Fri 05-Feb-16 09:19:56

They are very good for the money Arthur. DH is a positive gear snob, has a ultra lite terra nova tent that cost a fortune. Even he thinks it is a fab tent for the money.

He wanted a Hilleberg tent for cycling but we have three very expensive tents and unless we were miles from anywhere I would always prefer to have every other night in a B&B/Hotel so I didn't think the spend was worth it .... unless the weather is positively glorious at all times of course.

...... so I bought what I thought was a good value decent tent and gave it to him at Christmas grin, as a family present. Otherwise he would have spent four times the amount on the tent he thought we ought to have!

Good value though same as 3 nights in a B&B.

araminem Fri 05-Feb-16 13:22:10

I cannot contribute much, but I am curious. What are sims in this context?

lavendersun Fri 05-Feb-16 13:26:26

self inflating mats for sleeping on araminem.

araminem Fri 05-Feb-16 13:27:11

Aha lavendersun. Now I can rest easy for the rest of the weekend grin

lavendersun Fri 05-Feb-16 13:27:49

grin

BloodyBloods Mon 08-Feb-16 12:08:25

Thank you all. I'm still looking, but what with the weather I haven't really put my heart into it!

Lazy duck is one campsite that only takes little tents. I've come across a few.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now