Talk

Advanced search

What do you do for a toilet in a tent?

(47 Posts)
dannyboyle Tue 26-Jan-16 20:46:21

So in previous years we have taken a potty for the children to use at night in a tent or emergency. They are now 5 plus and potty too small.
So what do others do for toilets at night in a tent. Looked at those portaloos but they do seem very big for camping and packing in a car. Any other solutions / products out there that doesn't involve simply weeing into a bucket as not sure 5 year old we go for that!

HettyD Tue 26-Jan-16 20:52:06

A bucket with a lid is used by many people I know...I have just boys though so they just have an 'outside' wee if needed at night...and I trudge to the toilet block!! Anything for a bit of warmth and electric lighting!!

Tidypidy Tue 26-Jan-16 21:04:02

We use a Kampa Khazi. Basically a bucket with a seat and lid. It's not especially bulky and cost around £20. Our dcs have used it with no problems since eldest was 4. I use it too as always need a wee about 2pm since dcs were born!

gamerchick Tue 26-Jan-16 21:06:38

You can get lightweight camping toilets. They're cheap enough, Amazon have a few.

Wardrobespierre Tue 26-Jan-16 21:06:53

We walk to the toilets.

SirChenjin Tue 26-Jan-16 21:08:21

Bog in a Bag boginabag.net.au/ - ebay and Amazon do them

SixtyFootDoll Tue 26-Jan-16 21:09:47

Lidded bucket. It gets noisy at night though.

museumum Tue 26-Jan-16 21:11:31

Just walk to the loos.
How often do your kids pee in the night? Moonlight walks to the loo are a bit magical if not every five minutes

dannyboyle Tue 26-Jan-16 21:12:14

That kampa khazi loo looks great. Guess I won't get anything smaller with a seat!

imwithspud Tue 26-Jan-16 21:12:18

Not been camping for years but as a child we used to have a bucket in a separate tent that we all used to do our business in, it would then be emptied daily. Very grim but did the job.

BikeRunSki Tue 26-Jan-16 21:14:28

Trudge to toilet block, 3 year old included.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 26-Jan-16 21:15:12

Weeing into disposable nappies worked for us. (We had a few leftover that were bought the wrong size.) Never needed a bucket.

Tidypidy Tue 26-Jan-16 21:35:20

Clearly meant 2am!

dannyboyle Tue 26-Jan-16 21:40:45

smile
Can't be faffed with getting the kids into wellies etc and getting to loo block, and when they wake at night they need the loo pretty quickly. Between two young kids and me that would be around 4/5 trips (depending on how much wine I drink blush

dannyboyle Tue 26-Jan-16 21:43:56

Using disposable nappies might work, would probably still need a bucket though I guess

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Tue 26-Jan-16 21:44:17

I would say it's not worth spending a lot as they will soon be of an age where they don't need it any more. The disposable nappy idea to tide you over might be the best thing.

poocatcherchampion Tue 26-Jan-16 21:45:56

I wee at least once a night. It is why we bought a caravan!

Otherwise outside tent, or more recently in a kampa khazi which I loooooove!

Ledkr Tue 26-Jan-16 21:52:49

Yes this is why we upgraded to a camper but previously we have used a kampa khazi too, I stick a bit of bleach in first to avoid the smell.

Blowninonabreeze Tue 26-Jan-16 21:59:57

At festivals we use Cat litter in a carrier in a bucket. Chuck the whole thing in the morning.

At camp sites we just walk to the loos! (Or rather DH does! I just pretend to still be asleep!)

Twowrongsdontmakearight Tue 26-Jan-16 22:01:21

We had a mini chemical loo in the 'porch' area of our tent. DH used to object so when he left it out I sent him out in the pouring rain twice a night with DD and he soon changed his mind! The kampa khazi is good too but only for wees IMO.

Either way the rule was night time use only!

TheBlessedCheesemaker Tue 26-Jan-16 22:08:56

5 is a bit young, but with older kids, I recommend 'travel johns' (cant link at mo but you can get them from amazon) - brilliant little bag things that work a treat.

Krampus Thu 28-Jan-16 09:20:06

www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Diamond-Luggable-Camping-Toilet/dp/B000FIAPXO

AnnPerkins Fri 29-Jan-16 11:22:49

Kampa Khazi here too. I got it primarily for me, rather than DS, because he was still in nappies at the time.

As it turned out though, DH used it most nights and I hardly did at all. I slept better knowing it was there though.

luckiestgirlintheworld Fri 29-Jan-16 14:13:33

Tupperware bowl. But I'm skanky.

cece Fri 29-Jan-16 14:14:53

I use the toilets at the campsite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now