Can anyone recommend a campsite close to Nice that I can get to buy car?

(11 Posts)
HeyMacWey Tue 19-Jan-16 11:27:43

Want to fly this year and looking for a campsite that I can rent a van on.

I don't want to hire a car so it must be walking distance to the beach and supermarket /town.

Needs a pool too.

Any recommendations?

AtAmber Tue 19-Jan-16 11:43:44

My friend stayed at Camp de Pylone a couple of years ago. She booked it through Owners Direct and the owner picked them up from Nice airport. I think it's only 20 minutes drive so you could get a taxi. It's also quite close to Biot railway station if you wanted to get the train. We normally go to pachacaid which is lovely but about 2 hours drive from Nice so you would need to hire a car.

DPotter Tue 19-Jan-16 12:00:53

Used to holiday a lot just along the coast from Nice, near Frejus. There is a good bus service from Nice airport to the major towns and then you could get a taxi to a smaller town / village. Also trains as well. We tried car hire and bus options over the years.

From what I can recall, there were no camp site actually on the coast - it's all high end hotels / apartments / restaurants. Camp sites have small supermarkets but are more expensive than the larger ones in towns.

We used to stay at La Baume, outside Frejus up on the hill - several out in that direction. Bus service OK. Largest supermarket in town - don't think the bus went there - we either hired a car or a taxi trip.

La Baume has 7 pools and is excellent for children. Get moving quick as everything gets booked really early.

Loved it there - beautiful part of the world but very busy in holidays

HeyMacWey Tue 19-Jan-16 12:06:42

Thanks for that - for some reason I thought it didn't have a pool but it does confused

It could be an option then grin

HeyMacWey Tue 19-Jan-16 12:09:05

Do you remember la baume having road noise? Some of the canvas reviews talk about being right next to the motorway.

I'm wondering if the Languedoc-Roussillon might be better - the only thing is I want to fly from Stansted.

SandrasAnnoyingFriend Tue 19-Jan-16 12:11:47

I second the Frejus recommendations - we holidayed there throughout our childhood.
You can get the train from Nice to Frejus and then take a cab to a campsite. We stayed at Domaine de la Bergerie, which has a big enough shop/pool/restaurant that you don't have to leave the site. If you want the beach it would be a 10/15 minute taxi each way.

It's gorgeous.

HeyMacWey Tue 19-Jan-16 12:46:53

That would be perfect for me sandra as I have mobility problems so no need to leave the site but dh likes to go for a run and sea swim to start the day.

SandrasAnnoyingFriend Tue 19-Jan-16 13:01:26

The site is big enough to have an extensive run. It is quite hilly though, so if your mobility problems are bad it may not be suitable unless you can secure a pitch/van near to the amenities rather than up at the top.

I love it there.

HeyMacWey Tue 19-Jan-16 15:05:30

I think direct access to the beach or at least 5 mins walk to one is a necessity.
I'm going to look at the Languedoc-Roussillon.
I'm eyeing up le club garret atm.

HeyMacWey Tue 19-Jan-16 15:07:07

Farret

DPotter Tue 19-Jan-16 22:13:23

Yep La Baume is hilly - not overly so but enough. Depending upon where you are on the site, there was road noise - well my DP said there was never heard it myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now