Talk

Advanced search

Camping in Scandinavia

(12 Posts)
NurseJackie Sun 10-Jan-16 11:13:47

Hi we've camped a lot in the UK, went to Holland last year and really enjoyed it but fancy one of the Scandinavian countries this year. I'm open to ideas for Norway, Sweden or Denmark. Has anyone been and could recommend any campsites/best means of getting there? We live in Edinburgh and I can't seem to find any ferries, even from Newcastle? Flights seem very reasonable to Copenagen but then we would need to find a site that offers chalets or tents that are already set up.
Any advice appreciated.

profpoopsnagle Mon 11-Jan-16 21:09:47

I've camped a lot in Denmark, less so in Sweden.

The direct ferries to Scandinavia stopped a few years back. There is a possibility that Regina line may start in time for this summer but I wouldn't bank on it. Otherwise you could get a ferry to Holland (from Harwich or Hull) and drive up. Driving in Denmark and Sweden is easier than Netherlands- far less traffic apart from the main cities (but even then it's not that bad).

Or, if you fly then there are many Danish sites which offer a 'hut' to save you taking your own gear. I have never hired one but they always looked popular when spotted on sites. Some are much like camping pods- literally a shed to sleep in but others have a mini kitchenette/bathroom. One main difference with Danish campsites is that most have a kitchen for all campers anyway, with hotplates/gas, microwaves etc. You still have to take pots/plates/cutlery but it does save on other cooking equipment (though a little stove/kettle to make drinks with by your tent is often nice too).

Danish school holidays are mid June to Early August. If you were thinking of going then, then you would need to book, and you might find that you are tied to a week in each hut. After that, the sites are less full and much easier to find a hut/pitch with more flexibility.

My fav places are Skagen, Copenhagen, Faaborg, Aarhus/Ebeltoft and Bornholm. It's great fun getting various bridges or ferries around Denmark to save on driving too. There's legoland if that might float your boat and a tonne of viking historical places and castles- there's so much history as well as things to see and do.

Let me know if you want any other advice or information.

profpoopsnagle Mon 11-Jan-16 21:13:57

Forgot to say here is a campsite website and another one.

Searching for camp ground/place as a term can help yield more results, think 'campsite' is a peculiarly English language quirk.

ohdearlord Mon 11-Jan-16 21:15:37

Sweden's camping is lovely. I know most about the Stockholm archipelago. In which case if you want pre-set-up you'd be looking at "stuga" - like huts that prof talked about. They are usually linked to youth hostels (vandrarhem). Personally, Fejan is lovely but v.small, Finnhamn is also lovely and has marginally more on the island. Most people do one or two nights in different spots and ferry between. Grinda, Vaxholm (a larger town connected to mainland) are also both lovely. Arholma is our favourite.

NurseJackie Mon 11-Jan-16 21:21:23

Thanks so much for all the info profpoopsnagle. That's very helpful. I'll check out the places you mentioned. Legoland would certainly be a big hit with my 6 year old!

NurseJackie Mon 11-Jan-16 21:32:26

Thanks so much ohdearlord. Off to do some investigating!

leemur Mon 11-Jan-16 21:43:19

We camped in Norway several years ago before the direct ferry stopped and it was fantastic. We'd love to go back but are struggling with the lack of ferry!
We also went to Denmark in 2014 before they stopped that ferry. Denmark doesn't have the fantastic scenery of Norway but my 3 kids loved it. The campsites had great playgrounds and there were loads of family places to go. Including legoland!
I'm really hoping the ferries are reintroduced soon so we can continue or Scandinavian camping adventures!

MinesAPintOfTea Tue 12-Jan-16 06:20:45

The danish border was about 8 hrs of driving from rotterdam in our ancient van. Acceptable when you're closish to a north sea ferry port.

gingerdad Tue 12-Jan-16 06:24:30

We went to Sweden last year. Self catering not camping and loved it flew to Copenhagen and hired a car. Went over the bridge.

Would look at ferry to Rotterdam and drive stopping on the way.

PurpleFrog Wed 13-Jan-16 16:57:08

Not much help to you, but we took our camper van to Norway for 3 weeks nearly 20 years ago. The main route at the time from Scotland was sailing from Newcastle, but there was one ferry a week from Aberdeen to Lerwick that continued on to Bergen. So, at no extra cost we went Aberdeen to Shetland overnight on the Monday, spent 4 days touring the islands and caught the boat to Bergen on the Saturday. It was a really good touring holiday, staying at a variety of campsites. I would really like to go back sometime.

wickedfairy Wed 13-Jan-16 20:08:26

Marking place. Fab info, am looking into the same thing myself!

thehumansaredead Sun 05-Mar-17 19:41:44

Nursejackie did you go in the end? We are thinking about it for this summer 2017. We have a month & will be using the eurotunnel to cross. Is it doable as a drive or utter madness?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now