Talk

Advanced search

France. Does anyone take their own tent? Or is that madness?

(27 Posts)
FelicityFunknickle Mon 28-Dec-15 18:23:21

We are camping with friends next summer after this year's successful UK joint campimg holiday. Five kids between us aged 3-17.
I have demanded suggested we go to France.
Now im not sure whether its best to take our own tents or stay at a site with tents already set up.
My initial feeling was that we should take our own. We like them and it seems a waste not to. I think we have the storage space.
However, now I'm worried this is a stupid idea and that nobody takes their own tent on an overseas family camping holiday.
Never done this befo so I'm looking for some sound advice please.
Thanks so much.

smelliefant Mon 28-Dec-15 18:29:40

Hey!
We have camped with our tent and all related stuff several times, for up to 3 weeks - but we're a couple so require significantly less stuff! However most families where we were (Dutch, French and Belgian) had either vans or hired tents/yurt type things. If you fancy the Loire I can recommend a fab small countryside campsite which had v popular ready built tents to hire - near Saumur. Not Eurocamp in any way tho.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 28-Dec-15 18:33:53

Ive only ever taken my own tent. Lots cheaper.

FelicityFunknickle Mon 28-Dec-15 19:54:25

Oh thanks so much for the replies.
I have instigated the holiday so really don't want to arse it up.
I think we will take our own tents then and I now feel a bit more confident, thank you both.
Now. Where should we go grin

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 28-Dec-15 19:56:03

Ive only been to the Alps which probably isn't most people's ideal.

worriedmumred Mon 28-Dec-15 19:56:04

Camping du letty... Ssorry can't link!

SummerSazz Mon 28-Dec-15 19:58:30

We go for 3 weeks round europe with our camper and tent every year. One good thing you can do (more Spain than Italy) is hire a fridge which is worth it when its so hot. We take our own but if you are space limited it is well worth enquiring about.

MrSlant Mon 28-Dec-15 20:02:50

Three kids, two tents and one car. We've done 2,000 miles over three weeks and had the time of our lives. If you don't want to waste euros on fridges get an Icey Tek because they are fantastic. Also if you can get a 4 man pop up tent it is the business. Practice before you go! Best thing we've ever done I swear.

FelicityFunknickle Mon 28-Dec-15 20:04:58

Well the Alps sound gorgeous but probably too adventurous for us grin
Found Camp Du Letty, thank you.

FelicityFunknickle Mon 28-Dec-15 20:05:39

Getting excited now.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Mon 28-Dec-15 20:06:51

Camping Le Paradise in the Dordogne. We always take our own tent. We need a top box and estate car for all the stuff though.
www.le-paradis-campsite.com

Branleuse Mon 28-Dec-15 20:09:30

Are you all going in one car? Massive tent, plus mattresses, sleeping bags etc?

If you can afford to get one of the ready put up tents, I would. The canvas holidays maxi tents are great

deepdarkwood Mon 28-Dec-15 20:09:37

We never thought about not taking our own tent! Have done three camping holidays in France with two kids and a large (8 man) tent and awning, plus our own bikes - in a golf. When we pack up our camping neighbours come to watch as they never believe we'll get it all in. Never had to leave a child behind yet ;-)

deepdarkwood Mon 28-Dec-15 20:10:08

We did have a roof box though!

doistayordoigo Mon 28-Dec-15 20:18:30

Got to the Ardeche or the Languedoc...nicer weather! We've been camping with our own tent in France for nearly 10 years now and love it! Have a look on www.ukcampsite.co.uk - lots of advice on the forum unde the section for Camping & Caravanning Abroad, and lots of site reviews too.

anotherdayanothersquabble Mon 28-Dec-15 20:41:03

We took everything we needed for a family of 5 on an EasyJet flight. We took the bare minimum and had a fall back option of escaping to a hostel in case of rain! My husband prefers to bring more stuff so we drive now but minimal camping is my preferred style!! I can never quite bring myself to pay the premium for pitched tents.

VegetablEsoup Mon 28-Dec-15 20:46:20

we do. lots cheaper.
you will have a great time, camping in france is ace!

FelicityFunknickle Tue 29-Dec-15 14:07:00

deepdarkwood impressive.
Branleuse two cars between us all. One 4wd and one mpv. Each with a roof box

yetanotherdeskmove Tue 29-Dec-15 14:09:03

yes, this was the first year we hired a tent rather than took our own. it felt very decadent grin

Shells Sat 02-Jan-16 16:40:47

smelliefant yes please can you recommend campsite in the Loire. Or anyone else with good suggestions for a non-Eurocamp experience.

badger21 Mon 04-Jan-16 12:15:01

We're with you anotherdayanothersquabble. We are two adults, kids 5 and 8. Last year we took everything we needed for 3 weeks camping (including a cotton family tent weighing 20kg) on Easyjet to Corsica. It was awesome - we're going back again this summer for another 3 weeks.

- Tent in one hold bag
- Sleeping bags for kids, lightweight double duvet and sheet for us, sleeping mats, tiny chairs and table, shoes, lightweight hammock in another hold bag
- 2x tiny folding gas stoves, MSR pan/plates/cup set, picnic blanket, snorkel and flippers and other bits and bobs in another hold bag.
- Clothes and things for the journey in 2x holdalls (1x chid and 1x adult in each) and 2x adult day-sacks as hand luggage.

Perfectly possible - but takes a little bit of planning. Picked up hire car at the airport for the full time we were there, and then just as easy as setting off in your own car from the UK - if not easier, once you've cut everything down to what you really need! Lots of fabulous campsites - none of which take bookings, so just arrive early in the day - we didn't have a problem anywhere.

mercifulTehlu Mon 04-Jan-16 12:19:06

We've been a few times and have always taken our own tent. I love our tent smile.

FelicityFunknickle Wed 06-Jan-16 23:12:11

smile

smugmumofboys Wed 06-Jan-16 23:30:13

We always take our own tent as its loads cheaper.

Try Camping la Vallée in Erquy, Brittany.

smugmumofboys Wed 06-Jan-16 23:30:41

It's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now