Anyone been to Chateau de Monfreville?

(12 Posts)
lavendersun Sun 16-Aug-15 09:17:25

Just that really, looking for small family run decent sites in northern France.

lavendersun Sun 16-Aug-15 21:02:06

Instead of bumping am posting to say that I am booking it!!! May half term, Brittany Ferries are bookable right now.

Looks like us, small and simple grin.

www.chateaumonfreville.com/home/

I haven't got anything booked after October half term (not camping) and I love having something to look forward to now that we are stuck with the drudgery of the school term and waiting for the school hols!

HolyDrinker Sun 16-Aug-15 21:27:47

We went in July and had a great time! You'll love it. It's small but the owners have put lots of thought into the finishing touches. Especially good for kids as it's so safe, lots of animals and daily tractor rides! The morning bakery delivery is amazing.

It's really near Omaha beach, which is stunning. And Isigny-sur-mer is a lovely little town.

lavendersun Sun 16-Aug-15 21:47:36

Thank you! I have booked the ferry and e-mailed them. We are taking our bikes and our DeWaard tent so that we can look like the photos on their webpage smile, not really trying to look like their web page, but we are hoping to do a lot of cycling!

HolyDrinker Sun 16-Aug-15 21:51:15

Ooh, nice! I fell in love with a DeWaard tent there in July. We now have a savings fund. Which one do you have?

lavendersun Sun 16-Aug-15 22:01:11

We have an Albatros - one of the new ones after it was replaced by DeW this year. We had a few issues with the one we bought from them last year. We also ended up buying a tentipi with a stove this year so the Albatros has only been used for five nights!

I love the Albatros, DH loves the tentipi - I have booked France to use the Albatros as it has turned into a tent for non UK weather!

Flissity83 Sun 16-Aug-15 22:05:33

YES!!!and I loved it. The owners are great and the whole place has a fantastic atmosphere. When we went in 2009 (I think it was then) they would take your bakery order the night before, pick it up for you in the morning and chuck it into your tent for you every day. I'd go back in a heartbeat. Enjoy.

lavendersun Sun 16-Aug-15 22:11:20

Thank you Flissity - that is great to hear too.

We are hermits at heart and really like small quiet sites. Last week we discovered a site in Teesdale on our way back from Scotland that only took 8 campers - my idea of heaven.

25 pitches and fires sounds lovely. We have got a tractor hmm and animals so find that bit not that exciting but I really like the look of the place!

Just waiting their response. smile

HolyDrinker Mon 17-Aug-15 08:18:44

I want the Albatross. It's a thing of beauty.

They were installing a wood fired pizza oven whilst we were staying, so now you can order homemade pizzas for dinner.

It is truly lovely in the evening. Fabulous sunset views, with little firepits glowing away outside each tent.

HolyDrinker Mon 17-Aug-15 08:19:06

I want the Albatross. It's a thing of beauty.

They were installing a wood fired pizza oven whilst we were staying, so now you can order homemade pizzas for dinner.

It is truly lovely in the evening. Fabulous sunset views, with little firepits glowing away outside each tent.

lavendersun Mon 17-Aug-15 15:07:48

It is lovely Holy, really luxurious. We don't use the bedrooms and just have one big space inside, cooking/sitting under the vario.

Neither of us have a history of big tents and at times it feels embarrassingly large for three plus a dog, even though it isn't that big by many standards.

The tipi has a real back to basics feel despite the price tag. I love the Albatros, it always feels indulgent. Much too heavy for me to manage alone though.

lavendersun Mon 17-Aug-15 15:09:33

I wonder how much they have going at the beginning of June, a pizza oven would be really fab. Still waiting their response but the ferry is booked!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now