Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Camping in gale force winds

(8 Posts)
Sobek Thu 06-Aug-15 10:39:55

Our tent was destroyed 2 weeks ago in a storm in Holland (force 9-10). We arrived back to the campsite to find our tent covered in branches and two rips in the flysheet. The neighbours, who were all in caravans, said that they tried their best to hold onto the tent, but the pegs were just not up to it (Outwell pegging system). The poles amazingly hadn't snapped, but we just binned the tent (I'm now wondering whether it could have been repaired???). We weren't the only ones to lose our tent, but there was one in a neighbouring field that stood fast. My DCs said that it had thick straps attached to it as well as the usual guy lines, but I didn't get a chance to look at the pegs (we were just so busy trying to salvage our stuff from a sopping wet tent in the pouring rain!).

Now my question is this, apart from doing the obvious and taking the tent down before the storm hits (DH wouldn't hear of it, convinced the Outwell could withstand anything!), what should you do to protect a tent in a storm? The neighbours said that they thought the tent would fly away and I'm wondering whether the branches fell from the trees, or if they put them on the tent to stop it moving. If there were no trees on the site, would it be better to sit inside the tent to stop it moving or would there be other dangers in doing this? These are probably really dumb questions, but we are fairly new to camping and this was only our third trip! I've looked online to find out what pegs to use in a storm, but there seem to be so many types that I'm rather confused! I also haven't seen anything about straps for tents.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we do seem to attract storms (we've had them all three times we've camped!).

gingeroots Thu 06-Aug-15 20:49:21

I've learned on here that the type of tent is important when it comes to coping with gales .

Domes are better than tunnel type and classic V shape/ridge tent best of all .
I guess you could add extra guys and make sure the pegs are suited to the ground ,but I have a feeling that pegging and guying too tight is a bad idea and maybe causes tears in tent fabric ?

I'll be interested in more knowlegeable replies ,where we camp is very windy and the wind seems to go round in circles !

Sobek Thu 06-Aug-15 22:21:30

I did peg the guys out really tight the evening before when I found out that a bad storm was on the way. I thought that would provide more stability but I may have actually made things worse! I did wonder why the fabric was torn and just presumed that the branches did it, but maybe not.

It was a tunnel tent and I do like that shape, so would probably buy the same again.

helterskelter99 Sat 08-Aug-15 07:20:58

www.deltagroundanchors.co.uk

A camping Facebook group recommend these

Sobek Sat 08-Aug-15 08:35:23

Thanks. They look good. I'll invest in some of those for the next tent.

What about the guy lines...should these be pegged out tight or loosely in a storm.

Does anybody know whether there are special straps you should use as well as guy lines?

Fourarmsv2 Mon 10-Aug-15 08:04:32

Long thread on coping with wind on UK Campsite.

www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=3&TopicID=248707&PagePosition=1

starfish4 Mon 10-Aug-15 10:12:34

We've camped out during some appalling weather. I don't think our old dome tent was any better than our current tunnel (both Vango) to be honest. Not sure what they're technically called, but DH did buy some thicker pegs after ours were ripped out along one side on a headland in bad weather - I'm sure they help as we haven't had that happen since and have camped out during two met office weather warnings since.

gingeroots Mon 10-Aug-15 10:19:03

Thanks for link Four ,I've not read all of it yet .So far I've gleaned

look for sheltered spot

use car as windbreak

camp bum end into wind or slightly at an angle into wind

guy and peg securely

Personally I'm drawing the line at carrying a drill to penetrate rocky ground and make pegging easier .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now