Talk

Advanced search

Does this seem excessive for a three year old sleeping arrangement?

(18 Posts)
Pengweng Wed 05-Aug-15 16:59:05

We are going camping for two nights next week and I am always freezing so I was telling DH what i was bringing for the DT's (they turn 3 next week) to sleep in/wear and he thinks they will be too hot so I just wanted your expert opinions grin

Thick cotton rug on floor, then ready beds lined with a fleece blanket to stop the cold coming through, then fleece PJ's and vest and thick socks, then the shitty ready bed "blanket" and a toddler quilt on top. Too much?? It's supposed to be sunny but only 18C during the day so I think it will drop quite a lot. And since they get up at ass face (so named because that's what my face looks like at 5am) O'Clock anyway I am trying to stop them waking up any earlier because they are cold.

Also any recs for night lights for them? I don't want them freaking out if they do wake up and can't see where they are. Would some little solar fairy lights give off enough light for them?

TIA

MyGastIsFlabbered Wed 05-Aug-15 17:05:03

I've just come home from camping today with a 5 year old and a 2 year old. We had an air bed with a duvet on top and a double sleeping bag on that which we all slept in. The boys wore vests under normal sleeping bags. We were plenty warm enough. I didn't use lights at night either but was in the same 'bedroom' as them.

Achooblessyou Wed 05-Aug-15 17:08:19

Kids don't feel the cold I often find mine lying on the ground sheet and sleeping happily! I have often worried about them but they're still here!

Best thing to stop the cold coming through the ground is a self inflating mat they are incredibly effective much better than an air bed. And I'd say that's where you really feel the cold rather than from above.

Pengweng Wed 05-Aug-15 17:51:07

We are planning on getting sims for everyone after this trip depending on if they like it or not. I've seen some double ones which look good and seem to roll down smaller and 2 singles.
I guess i can leave the quilt off if it feels ok and then just check on them when i go to bed. Tent is vis a vis so I was planning on one of us in with each child until they get a bit older and then they can share. I think i'll put the screamer in with DH and stick my ear plugs in. haha

Thanks for your replies.

MyGastIsFlabbered Wed 05-Aug-15 18:27:24

Tsk just reread my post. Meant to say the boys wore vests under normal pyjamas.

MissWimpyDimple Wed 05-Aug-15 19:52:50

To be honest I always worry about DD being cold but she never is. She has a thin SIM with a fleece blanket on top, wears thermals and socks and has a normal sleeping bag. I usually plonk extra blankets on her if it's chilly.

Like the PP I often find her asleep on the groundsheet and even then she isn't cold!

Pengweng Wed 05-Aug-15 20:48:46

I think i must just always be freezing. lol. I'm going to take my hot water bottle and wear leggings under my pj's. I hate waking up cold because then i need to wee and hate going by myself in the dark. May need to pee in their potette plus hahaha not really joking

AwkwardAnnie Wed 05-Aug-15 22:23:28

Last weekend my 3 year old had a rolly mat, with a fleece blanket over (which he kept rolling off and climbing onto my head instead whilst asleep, he always moves a lot in his sleep) Then he had pyjamas, a fleecey onesie a 2 season sleeping bag (which he kept crawling out of) and I tried to keep him covered with a blanket. He was fine. I didn't get much sleep due to his fidgetting, but the fidgetting is normal not because he was cold.

My 8 year old had a SIM, with a fleece blanket over, a 2-3 season sleeping bag and fleece pyjamas. She said she was hot.

I had a SIM, 2-3 season sleeping bag, pyjamas, jumper, and blanket. I'm ALWAYS cold but I was fine except for the gap between pyjama bottoms and jumper. Next time I'm getting a onesie.

HolyDrinker Thu 06-Aug-15 01:02:54

Sounds like a lot to me. My 4yo wears a vest, socks and normal pjs. He sleeps on a SIM in a 2/3 season sleeping bag and is often too hot, wriggling out of his sleeping bag mid way through the night. I always take spare blankets for him but never need them. But he is a little furnace normally and your dc may run cooler than him naturally.

Be careful they don't get so hot they sweat, as that can make them wet/cold as the night progresses.

Pengweng Thu 06-Aug-15 08:41:07

Ok so one of them is always a bit sweaty so i may leave off the quilt and just chuck a blanket on her if it feels cold when i climb in.
Thanks everyone. I guess it is just trial and error really.

gingeroots Thu 06-Aug-15 20:59:54

Sounds ok to me ,and as you say you can always toss the duvet .

Last week I slept on 2 thin sims and a sleeping mat ,an opened up sleeping bag under me ,an opened up sleeping bag on top plus 2 wool blankets.
I wore heavy jogging bottoms and fluffy socks ,a long sleeved cotton top and a fleecy hoody .With the hood up .

Just right .

balletgirlmum Sun 09-Aug-15 20:24:48

We are as I type on our way back from a 2 night trip. Our first camping trip. The weather has been gorgeous.

Ds had fleecy onesie & a thick fleece blanket inside his sleeping bag.
Dd was cold the first night. She wore a fleece nightie thing over her pjs, a tgi fleece sleeping bag liner & a thin fleece blanket over the top of her sleeping bag. The second night she was warmer with another fleece inside her bag

tortoisesarefab Sun 09-Aug-15 20:41:32

Mine (3&2) were warm enough with a readybed and toddler quilt on top. Just normal pjs, long sleeve and long pants. They both had fleeces if needed but they didn't need them

Pengweng Mon 10-Aug-15 07:57:05

Gingerroots that sounds like what i do. I have a roll mat then sim, fleece blanket on top then sleeping bag then quilt and will wear leggings and top under pj's with walking socks pulled over pj bottoms.

Thanks everyone. Will be going on thursday as long as the weather stays as is.

gingeroots Mon 10-Aug-15 08:43:27

Ha ha ,I enjoy building my nest .Think I prefer being snug and warm in the cold as opposed to being at home where the nights can be overwarm .

Off topic but have picked up one of these www.amazon.co.uk/Aidapt-Adjustable-Bed-Back-Rest/dp/B001HG1IM0 from charity shop as I often need to sleep sitting up and that will add another dimension to my camping bed making .

Just need to work out how to secure it .Thinking sheet looped through bottom horizontal pole and placed under my pile of mats .For which I now have anti slip matting recovered from someone's cast of tent - think they used it as a breathable ground sheet for a canopy .

Pengweng Mon 10-Aug-15 09:37:12

ooh that looks good and would take up less space than my 5 pillows i normally have to have to sleep.

PosterEh Mon 10-Aug-15 09:42:33

I don't think you'll need that much stuff. Dd (3) sleeps in a vest and fleecy pjs in a 2/3 season sleeping bag on a single sim and has been fine (even in Ireland where the summer seems to have had a year off).

gingeroots Mon 10-Aug-15 10:15:15

Poster you're probably right ,LO don't always feel the cold like us /me smile

Pengweng you must be me ! The trouble is ,the pillows slip don't they ? I thought if I could antislip proof my new back rest ( am also considering self stick velcro strips on tent floor and back rest ) and attach a couple of pillows to it ,then I too could cut down on pillows .

And you know what ?- if you have some spare fleece blankets that you've taken and the children don't need ,they're awfully cosy rolled into a sausage and secreted either side of you under the duvet ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now