Sleep inflatable Matt's, air beds or camp beds?

(10 Posts)
wheelycote Sun 02-Aug-15 09:48:41

First time camper. Just getting the equipment together and not sure which are better...the inflatable matts....air beds...or camp beds...advice please?

allithwaite Sun 02-Aug-15 09:53:45

Start cheap and then you can improve as you go along.

For me I prefer my thermarest, as a family we now use areobeds which you can pump up really hard.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sun 02-Aug-15 11:47:42

Self inflating mats all the way here. Much prefer them to airbeds (warmer and more comfortable) and we haven't got room for camp beds.

wheelycote Sun 02-Aug-15 15:35:59

Can the self inflating Matt's come in different thicknesses...what thickness have you got?

MissWimpyDimple Sun 02-Aug-15 15:38:23

For an adult you need at least 5cm. Kids are normally ok on 2.5cm.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sun 02-Aug-15 15:59:22

Our old ones which we've had donkey's years were only about 2.5-3cm thick.

Just replaced with 7cm Outwell Dreamcatchers which are lush

Some people hate them though. Try and lie on one in a shop before you commit I would say.

kpandthesunshineband2 Mon 03-Aug-15 11:12:14

Just had our first proper camping trip - 2 nights at carfest . Kids on double airbed. DH & I had a vango 7.5cm & an outwell dreamcatcher 10cm & I thought surprisingly comfortable. I alsotook a campbed & a single airbed to use if first night didnt go well but all good.

bedhaven Mon 03-Aug-15 22:17:59

Exped 10cm megamats, expensive but so worth it if you plan to camp more than occasionally. I should get commission now 4 couples in our camping clan have followed suit and all sing their praises. I don't think I would love camping so much without them.

Cockbollocks Fri 07-Aug-15 16:22:09

We have outwell dreamcatchers and love them. I hated blow up beds, especially the double ones!!

fadingfast Sat 08-Aug-15 22:08:44

Blowup beds are a nightmare to inflate, always go down and are freezing cold at night. We've just bought a Vango 10cm SIM and found it really warm and much more comfy.
Our DC sleep on basic camp beds (canvas with poles), bit fiddly to put together but very cheap, sturdy and they've always slept well on them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now