Talk

Advanced search

Campsite near Retford, Notts

(7 Posts)
balletgirlmum Thu 30-Jul-15 00:30:42

Can anyone reccomend a campsite within 5-10 miles of Retford. Family friendly with nice shower/toilet facilities.

balletgirlmum Thu 30-Jul-15 11:49:31

Bump because I posted at an unearthly hour.

lavendersun Thu 30-Jul-15 12:51:34

I find UK campsite the best place to look for honest reviews - try this

www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/results3.asp?search=retford&by=town

MagicSwirlinShip Fri 31-Jul-15 11:00:57

There is a campsite in clumber park for tents, and a separate caravan club site. It's just off the A1. We've never camped there but go to Clumber Park for the day a lot. Have a look at ukcampsite for reviews.

lavendersun Fri 31-Jul-15 14:01:21

I have been to Clumber a few times, the NT one not the CC one. I didn't mention it as I thought that might be a bit too far for you OP.

Is nice, simple camping. No EHU, just a big flat field. They used to only pitch round the sides of the field, if they still do that it will be nice. If they try to cram in more tents in the middle it wouldn't be such a nice place (saw a photo showing just that).

There are three loos and showers in the ladies, not sure how they do it but there is never a queue and they are always clean. The people who run it (if they haven't changed) are lovely.

You get access to Clumber Park too, including after the gates go down, lovely to walk to the Lake in the evening. We did a night time walk in the dark in our pyjamas the year it first opened.

Good for bikes - but they have had a bit of a bike theft problem and have been a bit naughty by not making campers aware - very clued up bike thieves apparently sad.

You do have to pay a deposit for a card to get in and out but we have never done that as we have biked/walked while we are there.

The NT cafe is nice, opens for breakfast and stays open til 5:30 ... and you can buy wine and ice-cream if you are desperate!

lavendersun Fri 31-Jul-15 14:02:12

When I said a bit too far I meant that Retford is further from Clumber in my head than it probably is!

balletgirlmum Fri 31-Jul-15 14:07:03

We wouldn't be able to take bikes as there won't be room & I think we def want hook up.

We don't need to be hugely close to Retford. We have to take dd there for a residential summer school but she doesn't have to be there until late afternoon. We were planning on going up there a couple of days beforehand. We will be limited as to what stuff we can fit in the car as she'll have her suitcase & kit as well.

Seen a couple of places but they all look quite expensive. Guess you get what you pay for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now