Talk

Advanced search

ten 11yos. Dad drives supply wagon. Rest of us on train...

(17 Posts)
MuddhaOfSuburbia Mon 27-Jul-15 17:39:31

...yes, I know. I have taken leave of my senses but rather than suffer a birthday sleepover at home I thought might be a better idea to take it outside!

Does anyone know of a campsite in Kent, Essex, Sussex with ok public transport links (train ideally- can walk a bit the other end/bus it)

It would be first or second weekend in September so still have some time to book <crosses fingers>

thanks awfully

TheRobbingBastards Mon 27-Jul-15 18:19:55

I'm not sure many sites would allow you on with that number of DC's unless you could hire a separate facility, maybe a rally field?
Alternatively I have recently been to a scout type place (rather than a typical family campsite) where there were also families, a school and a church group. All were large groups with numerous unwashed, slightly feral children in tow smile

PotteringAlong Mon 27-Jul-15 18:32:33

How about somewhere with a camping barn?

MuddhaOfSuburbia Mon 27-Jul-15 18:40:19

Hmmm both of those suggestions sound worth a look

I was wondering how other campers might view that many kids. They're nice kids-but a bit giggly understatement of the year

TheRobbingBastards Mon 27-Jul-15 21:55:19

I'm a scout leader and can tell you categorically that "giggly" kids generally become shrieking kids very quickly on camp (at least for the first 36 hours!)
I suspect that you will not endear yourselves to any neighbours you may have, if you find a site that will accept you.

TheRobbingBastards Mon 27-Jul-15 21:56:34

Reading that back my post seems incredibly negative, which is the last thing I intended (personally I think it's an amazing idea smile)
Sorry OP.

Fourarmsv2 Mon 27-Jul-15 22:56:24

We had a similar sleepover in the garden. Longest night ever. And my child slept through for 12h!!!

zipzap Mon 27-Jul-15 23:39:58

There's a guide hall just down the road from where we live - nowhere near you! - but that seems to hire itself out to non-guides sometimes. Seems quite a basic double hall with basic kitchen and bathroom facilities - but would be perfect for what you're talking about. Would remove the need for actual tents as they use the halls to kip down in but you can do lots of outside stuff and have the convenience of kitchen and loos too...

plus it's used to having lots of kids coming to stay, it's not too close to any neighbours for them to be disturbed and relatively easy to get to via local transport from the main station.

might be worth investigating to see if there's anything similar in your area...

Appervine Tue 28-Jul-15 09:49:40

I've been to Debden House in Essex with loads of school kids. You can get there on the train or tube. It was term time during the week, so deserted apart from us. It's huge though so worth asking about groups. I think it can get pretty noisy at the weekend, which may or may not be a good thing in your situation!

Cherrypippin Tue 28-Jul-15 10:12:25

Have a look at Kingsdown international Campsite, it's just outside Deal Kent and would be perfect for what your planning. It's enormous, you pitch where you want, fires, overlooks the beach. We've just done a a group camp there and we had 40 kids! You could get the train to deal and then there's a bus to the village of Kingsdown every hour. Only takes 10 mins on the bus.

MuddhaOfSuburbia Tue 28-Jul-15 15:59:53

Sorry not been back desperately trying to wash a load of soggy clothes from woodcraft camp, collate two whole school uniforms and clear up for a sleepover at once but there are some totally brilliant ideas here- THANK YOU

I will return flowers

Blu Thu 30-Jul-15 08:45:20

I took 5 10 yos and that was enough. Keeping conk on them all in the woods , no sleep, one broke a finger, the catering logistics ....

You have a mighty courage , Mudda! grin

lavendersun Thu 30-Jul-15 09:38:40

Ask at Scouting and Guiding sites - we often camp at them.

They are quiet, spacious have a decent shower and loo and are obviously used to children. You can do activities at my local one on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the school holidays for £13 ppn for multiple activities, abseiling, archery, other fun stuff.

They don't often advertise the fact that they have a family camping field but a lot of them do.

Gilwell Park in Chingford is a good one, in the middle of Epping Forest.

MuddhaOfSuburbia Fri 31-Jul-15 11:07:08

Blu I'm not sure about courage, more foolhardy Pollyannery grin

as for injuries- it can't be worse than the Trampoline Halloween Of Which We Never Speak

big numbers are because of twins- I could of course do it in two hits, but that kind of seems worse

Guides and Scouts sounds like a good shout, so does Debden-and Kingsdown looks beYOOOTiful tho fear we might spoil it for everyone else

Takver Fri 31-Jul-15 14:28:32

Just a word of warning having done a post-year 6 camp out. Two of dd's friends had never camped before, and despite both being older/more confident girls, they both had a total melt down when it got dark at the idea of actually sleeping in a tent with all the scarey wildlife out there . . .

Wasn't a problem for us as the weather was looking chancey so we already had a contingency plan to pile in the car and go home if it was grim (only a mile and a half), so we just stayed up round the campfire then went and slept back at our house, but just bear it in mind!

MuddhaOfSuburbia Sat 01-Aug-15 13:26:43

Thanks takver

Afaik most if not all have camped before-but am expecting much squealing and ewwww-ing

I am now pondering a serious numbers cull and only taking 6-and taking another lot to pizza express on my nectar vouchers

[chicken face]

gingeroots Thu 06-Aug-15 21:31:03

Not sure where you're based but I believe you can do family camping here
www.southlondonscouts.org.uk/adventure/south-london-scout-centre/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now