Talk

Advanced search

What do we need for 2 nights camping?

(12 Posts)
Debs75 Sat 25-Jul-15 14:05:57

Me, DP and DD2 & 3 are going camping next month. We've never done it before so we've hired a tent which comes with 2 blow up mattresses.

We will be just using the tent for sleeping in as we are planning to be on the beach both days. I am taking spare quilts and pillows rather than buying sleeping bags and we are planning on taking a disposable BBQ for the first nights tea.

What else do we need which is essential

rumgy Sat 25-Jul-15 14:06:57

You need it not to rain

YouFargingIceHole Sat 25-Jul-15 14:16:14

food in a cool box
chairs
a dish tub (good for washing up and storing dishes)
wine, lots of.
something to do in the tent when it rains.
pen knife
camp shoes -ones that are easy on/off for when you're going in and out of tent.

YouFargingIceHole Sat 25-Jul-15 14:17:24

and a small stove and pan to make cups of tea
camping gaz do a nice basic one.

Blu Sat 25-Jul-15 14:41:06

Basic plates, cups, cutlery etc
Folding chairs - just 2 if the children can sit on a rug
Think about breakfast - cereal and milk? Brioche rolls or a packet of croissants/ or a frying pan and a pack of bacon?
You can do a lot on one of the one-ring stoves, available for about £10 - pasta and sauce, for example.

Toiletries in a plastic bag -

As peple say - flip flops, crocs and wellies all make good camping footwear for the kids - for in the showers and slipping on and off to go in the tent. Early morning dew can be wet.

Torches and a lantern.

Bubblesinthesummer Sat 25-Jul-15 14:45:38

Plenty of things for children to do.

Black bags to put wet clothes in

beanandspud Sat 25-Jul-15 20:02:43

Even though you're only away for 2 nights I would take as much as you can to make it comfortable, particularly if you're thinking of going again.

Torches? DS has a head-torch which he loves for reading in his sleeping bag - far more exciting than reading in bed at home. You could do with a couple of lamps of some description so that you can find your wine once it gets dark wink.

First aid kit.

Tea towels, washing up liquid etc. Corkscrew. Matches. Mossie spray depending on where you are going.

We use the big reusable supermarket shopping bags for clothes. Everyone has their own bag with a towel. Much easier to pack and stash away in the tent.

Favourite camping breakfast for DS is a mini box of cereal with the milk poured straight into the inner bag and eaten from the box. (MN tip smile).

Small camping table is useful.

Take warm jammies to sleep in and cosy socks. You may not need them but there's nothing worse than being cold at night.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 26-Jul-15 09:34:31

Just marking my place as we are off next week and I can't remember what we took last time! smile

Debs75 Sun 26-Jul-15 10:25:14

so torches/lantern.
warm pjs.
wellys
stove
cooking pan
bowl
spare clothes
plates and cutlery (were thinking paper)
toiletries
towels
rubbish bags
cards for when bored

how do i keep food cold? i was going to buya coolbox but will it keep food cold for that long?

Would i be best taking some bottles of water or will there be a decent tap to use?

Blu Sun 26-Jul-15 13:19:24

if you buy a coolbox and pre-chill or freeze stuff, and put some freezer blocks in, it should stop stuff actually getting warm - some campsites have a freezer that you can use to re-freeze your blocks, or freeze on while another is in your cooler.

Yes, there will be drinking water points and taps - I take a 5l mineral water container from Tesco or Sainsbury's (only a bit more than £1) and then re-fill it - use it as a re-fillable water container so that you are not always going to the tap.

Take wipes!! For wiping hands and all manner of things.

Corkscrew if needed.

Just think through your day and meals and what you will need for them. paper plates is a good idea. Lidl have cheap plastic plates, cups and bowls atm, 4 for £1. Poundland / 99p store, too.

What will you all drink? tea for you? teabags? Cups / mugs.

I am terrible for collecting sachets of sugar, salt and pepper for use camping.

Matches.

beanandspud Sun 26-Jul-15 23:18:25

A cool box should be fine for a couple of nights.

I take one packet of bacon (chilled) for breakfast on day 1 and then a packet of frozen bacon/sausages for day 2 (they will defrost quite happily in the cool box keeping other things cool).

Same for milk - 1 pint fresh and 1 pint frozen and defrosting.

Similar approach to wine...

Label your ice packs if you think you might be able to use a freezer on site - everyone's look the same!

snowaccidentprone Sun 26-Jul-15 23:35:07

Couple of blankets to put between you and the mattress. Makes it more cosy.

Mugs with lids are good.

Pasta and a jar of stir in sauce.

Head lamps.

Croc type shoes for slipping easily on and off

Camping stove, gas, matches a, 1 saucepan and 1 frying pan. Great for making fried eggs sarnies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now