Talk

Advanced search

Calais to dordogne - where to stop en route?

(21 Posts)
krisskross Tue 21-Jul-15 21:58:42

Hi, we're camping in dordogne soon.

Our plan is to drive from.calais for the bulk of the journey, then stop overnight in a cheap hotel, hopefully leaving only a couple of hours drive.

Can anyone recommend a town to stop in that fits the bill ? And a cheap hotel chain?

Thanks

Morgan Tue 21-Jul-15 22:02:11

Try Limoges - on the route and nice town - try ibis budget or campanile . Hotels on the outskirts of towns are normally cheaper .

Happy36 Tue 21-Jul-15 22:03:48

Tours, Poitiers, Limoges or Brive.

Can't go wrong with Ibis and usually they have family rooms (if you are a family).

Happy36 Tue 21-Jul-15 22:04:11

oops, snap with Morgan, didn't see your post! great minds...

krisskross Tue 21-Jul-15 22:09:38

Excellent ! Thank you both, time to get the maps out....

Morgan Tue 21-Jul-15 22:32:49

Indeed Happy smile

HettyD Thu 23-Jul-15 19:51:25

Tours is where we stop, there is an ibis there (Sud I think) with a pool in the garden for crabby kids, and restaurant for supper, and buffet breakfast. Family room was v reasonable!

krisskross Thu 23-Jul-15 19:58:01

Thank you hetty....sounds good! How long is the drive from.calais ? Thanks

Methe Thu 23-Jul-15 20:00:07

It's not too bad doing it in one go if you fancy it?

krisskross Thu 23-Jul-15 20:31:31

Thanks Methe but I think if we drove from calais to dordogne we'd be so shattered we couldn't put the tent up!!

Methe Thu 23-Jul-15 20:54:18

It is a long day but worth the pain imo. I swore off stopovers a long time ago.

HettyD Thu 23-Jul-15 20:57:36

It's a long drive down to tours but mainly motorway I seem to remember. Second day is shorter but then we have to pitch when we get there so it needs to be. We have done the drive in one go but we were staying in a van that year so didn't need to factor in time to pitch! Morning of second day stick to motorways, will be busy for a bit but soon is better (although Saturday's are still busy) have fun!!

krisskross Thu 23-Jul-15 21:06:22

Wow, just looked at the ibis....for 100 quid we can get dinner, bed and breakfast!!

HettyD Fri 24-Jul-15 21:49:25

You can see why we have been several times!!
Although you could alternatively catch an overnight ferry Portsmouth to Caen (or similar...) (cabin for 4 is c.£100) and drive in one day down to dordogne... Depends where in UK you live!

MrsTuppence Fri 24-Jul-15 21:52:32

We stayed in Chartres in both directions - in a Campanile on the way down - the room was a bit on the snug side for four of us (me, DH and 2 DS aged 5 and 2). So we splashed out and stayed in the Novotel on the way back - lovely.

Chartres is a beautiful town and we went in to the centre for dinner and a walk around with the kids. Highly recommended.

MrsTuppence Fri 24-Jul-15 21:54:21

Oh i should have said that we deliberately avoid Paris on that route, so Chartres is just about half way if you're skirting around the west of Paris (via Rouen) on the peage.

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sat 25-Jul-15 05:38:09

would also recommend trying the logis du France site

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sat 25-Jul-15 05:39:35

Gah, bloody autocorrect! Logis de France

millimat Sat 25-Jul-15 21:41:45

OP where in the Dordogne are you going?

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sat 25-Jul-15 23:30:30

I'd recommend B&B hotels for an overnight stop. There are loads so you can pretty much pick where you'd like to stop.

krisskross Sun 26-Jul-15 10:59:39

Thanks everyone . Tours looks around the right distance so well prob book that today. We are staying in a site near sarlat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now